- Community-wide information that should be kept current in one place:
- Security protocol and contacts
- Most recent releases, announcements
- Audiences, mailing lists, working groups
- Community servers (QA, etc.)
- Information that should have a reasonably parallel structure and location for each release:
- Release notes
- Install guide
- Modules, dependency/utility versions, stealthed tools
- What else should we include? Please add here!
- How to contribute?
- Strawperson plan:
1. Leave everything in place and mark it with a "community/development space" header.
2. Make a *simple* document inventory that lists what we think always needs to remain current and what should be locked to a release as "official" documentation, finding the existing pages that have this essential and relevant information.
3. Set up a new Confluence space (maybe another domain) and move/copy pages in #2 according to the doc set.
4. Link Jira to the new Confluence space.
5. Create a small group with a practical schedule of dates for reviewing inventory and keeping it as a public punch list (and ideally working to make updates or do the housekeeping, but at the least identifying the needs on a defined rhythm and in a known spot and announcing them).
Do we want to have documentation restricted to a vetted group of people?
- Reach out to Apereo?
- How do we attract people to participate? Keep barriers low?
- Look at other open source projects - they keep their documentation in a source control repository
- Do we want to move away from WIKIs? Consensus is Yes (though keep confluence for legacy, but clearly mark it as not reliable)
- Keep Wikis... because we're used to it? because it has JIRA linkage?
- Use GitHub?
- Look at Moodle? DSpace? manages everything in a central repository and releases documentation.
- Own our sakaiproject.org repository for our tech documentation?
- Too much crappy documentation currently
- We need a decent process and a decent process - use source control, branch and tag entire body of documentation with each release.
- What is the base format?
- What do other people use for a publishing process?
- Get Funding?