Calls are currently taking place every Wednesday at 12:00 Noon ET (New York, USA). To participate:
- Dial 1-888-447-7153 (International callers: 1-719-387-1138)
- Enter in passcode: 917798 (the hit #)
- Listen to music until "moderator" starts the call
- Need help? Call tech support at 1-877-807-0970
Participants: Lynn Ward, David Goodrum, Robin Hill, Kim Thanos, Salwa Khan, Mathieu Plourde, Josh Baron, Keli Amann, Eli, Rita Pavolka, Ken Romero, Daphne, Jon Hays, Lisa.
- Josh: I've had some thoughts on a potential new direction to take with some of this work and would like to get people's reaction to it on the call.
- Instructional Visioning Efforts
- Josh is concerned about the amount of time we can put into this.
- We could use the Horizon Report as a model for the future of Sakai.
- Open education is a major theme. Do we want Sakai to support this?
- Robin: Institutions jump in technologies without a real need.
- Lynn: Long term is nice, but we need to also look at current issues, to make sure we address standards.
- Janet: we could look at the Horizon Report and see how Sakai could plan for this.
- Eli: Looking forward could give Sakai the edge on other systems.
- Josh: This group should work closely with the Library, OSP, Assessment groups to develop standard processes.
- Ken: Instructors and users can provide us the trends.
- Daphne: I am concerned we are stretched too thin to really gather useful data for all tools in Sakai.
- Josh: We could use a form to suggest research topics. Then this group could prioritize.
- Kim: This group should focus on bringing parts together.
- Two needs:
- 1) Tools in Sakai 3 should answer users' needs.
- 2) Long term strategic instructional visioning.
- Eli: Sakai 3 is being developed as we speak, participating institutions are setting the priorities.
- This group has to gather info from a larger pool of Sakai schools.
- CARET already has a set of personas for social networking.
- Keli: Social networking is targeted to informal learning.
- Lynn: In Angel and LAMS, tools are a part of a larger framework. We need to define a metaphor for Sakai 3.
- Lisa: We need a philosophy for Sakai.
- Which kind of granularity do we want to promote for Sakai? Historically, institutions would contribute tools.
- We need to ask faculty: If I had an online space, what would I do with it.
- Lynn: Angel's metaphor is files and folders. Everything is sequenced.
- Sakai 3 focuses a lot on page creation and linking. Is it the right metaphor?
- Angel's metaphor is a file system. Everything is in folders, sequenced.
- Daphne: We need the needs analysis first, then define the metaphor.
- Josh: For next week, we need to try to define this Sakai 3 framework and metaphor.
- CARET folks need to be involved.