Definitions of some key words:
- Assignment - An activity to be performed. If this activity is related to a goal (i.e. associated with the goal), the individual's performance in relation to the goal can be rated.
- Associate - The act of relating a goal with an assignment. Successful completion of the assignment should indicate progress towards the related goal, although this may not always be the case.
- Goal - An objective that may be related to activities that a student is expected to perform. A goal may contain zero or more subgoals.
- GoalSet - A group of related goals that are managed together.
- Grade - The act of evaluating a student's assignment submission. This is an indicator of successful completion of the assignment.
- Publish - The act of making a set of goals (GoalSet) available for association with assignments within a worksite (class).
- Publish Globally - The act of making a set of goals (GoalSet) available for association with assignments across all worksites (all classes). The School of Education (SOE) at Syracuse University has a set of proficiencies that span programs and courses. These would be published as a global goalset.
- Rate - The act of evaluating a student's performance in relation to a goal. This is an indicator of successfully demonstrating progress towards the desired objective.