Meeting minutes for September 8, 2008
No new issues
Sakai/OSP 2.6 and beyond Development Status
- SAK-14279 Avoid wasteful calls to resolveUuid. There were no objections. This is in trunk.
- SAK-14280 Improve efficiency of form handling by caching schemas. No objections. This is in trunk.
- SAK-14165 Portfolio assembly is slow with many completed Forms. There are patches attached to the ticket, but they are not going into 2.6. UM will be running the patches in production.
- SAK-13146 Add custom form as an option on main page of wizard. Chuck Hedrick wasn't on call to discuss his progress.
- SAK-13719 Matrix tool / tracking permission changes (IU). IU will be going live with this next week. Lynn will do a demo sometime afterwards.
- SAK-13725 patch to enable exposed matrix and exposed wizard in OSP. This isn't ready for production, so it will not be in 2.6.
- SAK-14417 Redesign Portfolio User Experience. Beth created this ticket as a place for tracking plans for the Portfolio Tool redesign. It links to Nathan's mockups and also to a page for adding requirements.
New Development for 2.6
We reviewed most of the new screenshots of the proposed Portfolios tool UI rework by Nathan Pearson. Comments included:
- Screen 1.1: The "Options" column should probably be renamed "Actions"
- 1.1a: Perhaps making the portfolio active or inactive should be an option in the pop-up menu. Under comments, it would be nice to have some way of indicating that unread comments have been added.
- 2: The question arose whether anyone has large numbers of portfolio templates, which would make this screen unwieldy. Probably not.
- 3: Comments included:
- Does the screen take up too much room once you put the Sakai navigation in?
- Is the progress indicator misleading, since it would say "Complete" before you are finished with, say, adding all the pages you want. Perhaps it would be better to say "Ready" rather than "Complete".
- Should the Status section be moved to the Sharing page? This would take up less real estate on this page, but would make the Sharing screen more cluttered.
- Nathan explained that it is generally a good principle of UX design to allow multiple ways of accomplishing the same important task, which is why he put in tabs as well as links for actions such as "Add/Edit Content".
- 3a: The question arose of when the Preview button should become available. Nathan thought it should always be there, but show a blank screen with a message like, "No portfolio is ready for previewing".
- 4: Jan expressed concern that some of the efficiency of the current screen is lost here. For example, the user can't tell how many schools they've added to their resume. Having to click back in to each section would be tedious. Nathan said that he believes we have more of a need for ease of learning than efficiency. It would be possible, however, to indicate how many items of a particular type have been added.
- 5: Since the display name is just for saving the Outline Options form, it would be best just to use script so that it isn't displayed at all. The Presentation Name is from a UM Outline Options form. This screen prompted the question, where do you name the portfolio (the name that will show up in the list of portfolios). It was explained that the portfolio name that has been displayed throughout the screens (Nathan's Resume Portfolio 1) has an edit link next to it to allow the name to be edited. (It remains unclear to the author of these notes when and how the user would be prompted to name the portfolio in the first place.)
- 6b: There should be a select all button and that button should select all users, not just the ones listed on the first page. Are groups necessary? Yes.