Participants: Mathieu, Josh, Janet, Emily, Maggie, Steven, Kelly, Robin, (type your name here if it is missing)
1. Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award
1.1 Judge selection
Rationale of having sitting judges
- They don't use Sakai, don't know the LMS
- Logistics of the process to re-explain
- Concern as for the number of judges
- Need for some compensation (pay for the travel)?
- Participating in the process pumps up their resume
- One outside judge + two winners this year? Worries about the winners' background. Might have got help from IDs.
- Must have balance between Instructional Design and Faculty
- International representation? Final judging and/or initial judging
- 3 judges, 3 year terms
- Have the winners do the preliminary judging
- Sub-committee will continue discussion
1.2 Submission process
- Issues with number of characters. Test the form beforehand. Frustrating to paste in a text that has too many words.
- People spent a lot of time thinking about their course, which adds time to the submission process (which is a good thing - apart of the mission of the Award)
- Screenshots only to level the playing field
- Describe the types of attachments, the number of attachments
- Jira-like process to paste in screenshots
- Offer webinars to get questions answered from potential submitters
- Missing line breaks
- Waste of bits/time for formatting?
- Word template to upload? Hard to enforce word count.
- Screenshots were resized. Use clickable thumbnails instead.
- Add comments to images.
- Mathieu will discuss with Nate and come back next week.
- Have the application use the whole screen.
- Have the form be more TWSIA oriented (verbiage at the top of the page).
1.3 Follow-up on discussions between Josh and IBM
- IBM is supportive, will give an answer by Friday.
2. VA Tech Regional Conference
- Nothing new to report this week - John and Eddie will not be in the call this week.
- Early Bird registration ends October 13th
- Presenters should confirm their willingness to present, provide a biography for the program, and request additional A/V equipment via https://survey.vt.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1222008207522
3. Demonstration Sites, Hosting, OpenEdPractices
Following a lively discussion on the Pedagogy list, we will discuss the possibilities during the conference call.
- Robin has some courses to share. Uses fake students.
- Issues with sharing content (copyright).
- Need some kind of walk through from the instructors.
- Have 3 or 4 demonstration courses bundled in the install files has value.
- Could be hosted.
- Emily from Johns Hopkins: Made a sample course based on three courses for external stakeholders.
- Wants to build a self-paced course to explain how to build a pedagogically sound course in Sakai.
- Josh suggests to put this to the agenda after the new year.* Josh suggests to put this to the agenda after the new year.
- Users list has similar discussions.
4. Follow-up on the Sakai Authoring Summit (Mathieu - If time permits)