Sakai Foundation Board of Directors Meeting of October 28, 2008

Peabody Hotel (during Educause), Orlando, Florida

This document contains minutes from the Sakai Foundation Board of Directors meeting held on October 28, 2008, in Orlando, Florida. Corrections, suggestions should be sent to John Norman and Mary Miles.

These minutes capture both the discussion and formal resolutions of the board. Simply because something was discussed does not mean that it is the agreed-upon position of the board. When the board makes a formal resolution to approve an item, it will be noted as such in the minutes. If there is no such notation, readers should assume that the minutes are simply the notes of the board discussions.

Board members present (both in person and by phone: Josh Baron, Lois Brooks, Chris Coppola, Clay Fenlason, Mara Hancock, Lance Speelmon, Jutta Treviranus, Joseph Hardin, Michael Korcuska (ex-officio), Mary Miles (staff)

Board members absent: John Norman

Topic: Review of September 18 minutes
The minutes of September 18 were approved with minor modifications.

Topic: SCA Applications Received
SCA applications have been received from People Brasil Educacao Ltda. and the Longsight Group. Both applications were unanimously approved. Mary will contact them to notify them of their acceptance and complete the necessary paperwork.

Topic: Executive Director Updates
Michael reviewed the finances through September, reporting that work continues with the University of Michigan to move from the former legacy account to the new billing system under the Memorandum of Understanding. This should be completed over the next six months.
Collections in July and August were low. This is historically due to vacations and other summer activities, but the overall financial health of the foundation remains stable, with a balance that is above the target.
Michael reviewed outstanding invoice that are 30-days or more outstanding. The board requested that the approved delinquency policy be sent to them for review. Mary will send this as an email attachment.

Topic: Board Retreat
Dates were selected for the upcoming Board Retreat: February 9-11, with arrivals on Saturday, February 7 and Sunday, February 8. A dinner will be arranged for Sunday, February 8, for those board members who are in town and available. The meetings will be held all day on Monday, February 9 and Tuesday, February 10, and the morning of Wednesday, February 11.
Topic: Criteria and Competency of the Sakai Foundation Staff
Discussions are ongoing with the Foundation staff (and others) to develop a list of core competencies for the Foundation. This list will be used to inform a broader discussion of the most important things to be done by the Foundation and then determine the budget that should be assigned to these items. This will provide the Executive Director with direction for the coming year or more. The list of important competencies developed to date includes the following:
• Finance & Member Administration
• Licensing
• Conferences
• QA Leadership
• Marketing/PR/Adoption
• Welcoming People to Sakai - on boarding, including overall communication and information architecture
• Release Management
• UX Leadership
• Values/Process Management/Design & the infrastructure to support
• Contributor Support/Relations (heavy development focus at first)
• Acquiring temporary help for immediate initiatives (paid or otherwise)
• Documentation/Online Help
• Grant Writing

The criteria for determining whether the above competencies should be med by the Foundation (or the Community) included the following:
• Too important to fail & self-interest won't motivate the community
• It's a temporary fix
• It amplifies Community capability, making others more productive (training, documentation, test scripts, test server with automation, etc.)
• It is time sensitive
• The Foundation is already good at it
• When centralization gives a large advantage.

Discussion will continue on this topic over the next few board meetings leading up to the board retreat in February.

The following questions/issues were raised:
1. Is it feasible that the Foundation could divide into different tracks (current stable 2.x platform, and new 3.0 release) then organize around those tracks?
2. The Foundation should be playing more of a leadership role, but the problems need to be dissected deeply enough to understand what is needed. What would it take from a Foundation leadership perspective to help the various participants do what is needed?

The board meeting ended due to a fire alarm at the hotel. This conversation will continue at the next meeting and at the upcoming retreat.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Miles