Last revised June 2014
Sakai Project Timeline 2008-Present
(Interactive - Full events link)
- Sakai CLE
- Sakai OAE (formerly Sakai 3)
- Sakai OAE 6.0 is the current release as of Q2 2014
The most current release is Sakai 10, which was released on June, 2014.
Support for older releases
Sakai generally maintains both the current major release and the prior one - which is now Sakai 2.9. However generally only critical bugs and security fixes are maintained in a previous release and in the maintenance release branch. It's generally recommended to upgrade to the newest version of Sakai shortly after it's released
Sakai 2.9 was released in 2013 and is currently in maintenance mode.
The major set of new tools and capabilities in 2.9 include:
For full details please see the TCC voting summary
Sakai OAE represents a rewrite of the Sakai framework, both technically and as a reimagined user experience. Its first set of designs came out of the UX initiative, and its early development has been led by Cambridge. A second UX design phase started in September of 2009, and will culminate in a milestone to be ready for QA by April 2010. Sakai OAE version 1.0.0 was released on 09-2011.
Sakai 3 development is a distributed effort with many moving parts, but they generally fall into one of 3 categories.
- UX design (discussion happening on the sakai-ux email list.)
- UI development (discussion happening on the sakai-ux email list.)
Efforts to inform S3
Sakai 3 aims to be user-centered and design-led, and so its develop takes the insight and research of its functional and UX communities as key inputs:
- Sakai's Teaching and Learning community has been rallying around an effort to distill fundamental user needs. Much of the current work is focused on the shared editing of a Learning Capabilities spreadsheet.
- OSP: Sakai's OSP community has also for some time been engaged in a review of portfolio capabilities, and what insights should anchor eportfolios in a new generation of product.
- Learning Activities user research.
- Sakaibrary user research.
- Groups user research.
- Academic Networking user research.