QA stands for Quality Assurance. In this context the QA mission is primarily to uncover and report software bugs, to verify software bugs that have been fixed, and to test new features for regressions (new bugs inadvertently introduced when adding a new feature) for the Sakai CLE software.
Pre-requisites for participating
Required - a Jira account is required. Sign up at https://jira.sakaiproject.org
Required - Join Sakai QA email group (email@example.com) or Sakai Dev group (firstname.lastname@example.org) to keep up to date with the latest announcements and ways to help with the testing effort.
Optional - Jira QA group - special permissions - You do not need special permissions to test fixes and to comment on Jira issues. There is a "Tested" button that indicates successful testing of a Jira issue. This button is only available if you are a member of the Jira QA group. This permission is granted to experienced testers. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Hints - Our primary tools are Jira, Google docs spreadsheets, and QA servers. Learning how to use Jira and what the fields represent is well worth the time.
Ways to Participate
- Verify bugs that have been fixed.
- Test new features.
- Regression test existing features.
- Create Regression scripts (i.e. step-by-step instructions for performing regression tests.)
- Release testing - testing alpha, beta, and release candidate versions before software is made generally available (GA aka production).
- Help maintain QA documentation in Confluence. Proof read. Make suggestions. Create short videos.
- Ask and answer questions on the email groups.
- QA team meetings. Attend the QA to bring up issues that need attention, to help plan for testing for releases, and more.
- Expert QA knowledge needed - special skills are needed for some types of QA testing.
a little bit about Jira; a little bit about which servers to use for testing; and a little bit about the Jira guidelines. provide some basic information and then link to the full Jira guidelines documentation.
Test New Features
information on testing new features
Regression test existing features
how to help with creating regression scripts
See the latest 2.9 Test Fest
Maintain QA documentation
help with confluence documentation
Ask and answer questions on email groups
how to ask and answer questions
QA team meetings
information about qa team meetings, also mention the CLE release team meeting with link if applicable.
Expert QA knowledge
- Accessibility Testing
- Localization Testing (different languages)
- Review of patches and fixes
- Testing locally
- Automated testing
- Security testing (requires special permission)