Sakai 2.9 contains significant performance improvements, updated technical infrastructure, hundreds of bug fixes (over 600 bug fixes and over 20 security improvements), and it sports a new, updated look and feel, including smoother navigation, with a new neo-portal skin. Significant features have been added to the Resources, Gradebook, and Section Info tools in core Sakai. Major additions and improvements have been made to the “Indies,” including Lessons, which is now turned on by default, Samigo Test & Quizzes, Profile 2, Forums and Messages.
• CK editor inclusion improves accessibility
• Accessibility improvements to the brand new NeoPortal
• Significantly improved the accessibility of dynamic menus in the resources tool
• For a complete and in-depth analysis of all accessibility improvements to Sakai 2.9.0 visit the Accessibility Working Group’s webpage http://bit.ly/sak-awg
• Instructor can submit assignment on behalf of a student - SAK-7475 - Allow instructor to submit assignment on behalf of student Closed
Basic LTI (IMS Learning Tools Interoperability)
• Support for Basic LTI was upgraded from version 1.3 to 2.0 in Sakai 2.9.0 and 2.9.1
• Support for Basic LTI was upgraded from version 2.0 to 2.1 in Sakai 2.9.2 . Please see LTI - Release 2.1.0 Notes
- Support for Basic LTI was upgraded from version 2.1 to 2.1.1 in Sakai 2.9.2 . Please see LT - Release 2.1.1 Notes
• Delegated Access Tool - not OOTB - new Contrib Tool
• Statistics and Grading (check all cases where you can grade (bulk grading, etc))
• Require users to post before they can read posts - setting per forum - SAK-24781 - Post First Option in Forums Closed
• Word count for messages
• Improved permissions settings layout - SAK-24783 - Redo Forum/Topic Permissions setting UI Closed
• Checks for, and prevents, duplicate Forum and Topic names
• Profile picture displays next to each post - SAK-24716 - Need property to control display of profile pic feature Verified
• Option to set open (show) and close (hide) dates - SAK-24642 - Start and End dates on Forums and Topics Closed
• Options to duplicate forum and duplicate topic
• The term "threads" changed to "conversations" throughout UI
• In Topic menu, "Display Entire Message" option changed to "Display Message Content"
• Topic menu always displays at top of Topic screen (previously, it displayed beneath breadcrumbs when in "Display Subject Only" mode and at the top when in "Display Entire Message" mode.
• Drop highest, drop lowest and keep highest grade options - SAK-19964 - Gradebook drop highest and/or lowest or keep highest score for a student Closed
• Hide/show columns in All Grades page - SAK-19731 - Add ability to hide columns in All Grades View for instructors Closed
• PDF export option added - SAK-20118 - Generate a pdf from the gradebook for printing Closed
• Institutionally defined final course grade export, in addition to existing grade export options - SAK-22204 - Gradebook Course Grade Export Format Closed (New in Sakai 2.9.2)
• Ability to define and import a group with a CSV file. - SAK-21407 - Allow import of group membership from CSV file Closed
• Randomly assign users to a set of groups (maintainer specifies the desired group size or the desired number of groups) - SAK-22253 - If there are an uneven number of students, more auto groups are created than requested Closed
Help Documentation (new for Sakai 2.9.1 and updated in Sakai 2.9.3)
• Sakai online Help has been updated to reflect tool changes between 2.8.x and 2.9.x
• Ability to set a language different than the system default on a site level.
Lessons - Lessons (formerly Lesson Builder)
• New part of core Sakai !!!
• Student-centric features added including allowing students to create pages and comment on pages.
• An anonymous option is available.
• Support for IMS Common Cartridge import. Version 1.1 for 2.9.0 and version 1.2 for 2.9.1. Support for IMS Basic LTI tools have been added.
• New permissions settings to allow finer-grained control over who may send to generic recipient groups - SAK-24792 - Add new permissions to prevent users from using Generic Recipients in "To" field (All Participants, etc) Closed
• Ability to hide groups from specified roles. An example use case is to have a group with learning disabilities which may need private communications. - SAK-24790 - Add Ability to hide specific groups Closed
• BCC (blind cc option)
NeoChat - experimental tool - being piloted at smaller installations. For information contact email@example.com
• NeoChat is a new social network chat tool which has not been thoroughly vetted for performance at large scale.
Neo-portal and updated skin - (for more information see Sakai 2.9 portal changes and see Sakai 2.9 and Sakai 10 skin guide for updates in Sakai 2.9.2)
• Provides an improved user interface design, including collapsible toolbar navigation enhanced with descriptive icons, and direct navigation to a tool from the site navigation bar.
• Once logged in, a user can go to profile settings from My Workspace or by clicking the icon in the top right corner.
• Ability to create a new site with selected connections. - SAK-27055 - Allow user to create a worksite containing a selection of users from their connections Closed
• More flexiblity with preferences, searching and privacy.
• Provides zip expansion of uploaded files. - KNL-273 - Outstanding issues with SAK-800 Closed
• Allows export of files to zip format. (System property setting required.
• Optional URL shortening for resource access
• Ability to select a date when the sections tool is open for student viewing. - SAK-20612 - Allow closing section info tool until a release date Closed
• Now allows students to view their section information.
• Unpublished sites can be published with a single click. - SAK-22732 - Publish site immediately does not work Closed
• Language preferences are now supported at the local worksite level, overriding system-wide language default.
• Import from Site updates links to content correctly - SAK-16568 - Copied content links point to original site when 'Import from Site' option is used Closed
Tests & Quizzes (Samigo)
• Ability to set score for students who have not submitted their work. - SAK-34869 - Option to set all remaining students who have not yet submitted an assessment to zero (or some other grade) Closed
• After a Test has been published, random question ordering option within Part. -
Make Question Ordering option within Part editable in Published Assignments
• Can now place due date on Schedule tool - SAK-34911 - Samigo(Test& Quizzes) to send events to the Schedule Verified
• A new matrix survey question type has been added.
• Scientific and complex number notation support. - SAK-34851 - Scientific and complex number notation support in numeric questions Closed
• Grader's comments included in Export -
Add Comments to Export function in Assignments
• Additional enhancements
• Add the new options from TII 2.9.2 in the Assignments Tool.
• Target a repository, target databases
• An institution can choose which settings are available via sakai.properties
• CKEditor 3.6.2 has replaced the FCKEditor as the default.
• CKEditor provides major accessibility improvements, speed increases, Word-format-stripping by default, and works better with most mobile devices.
• Addition of Math Editing in CK Editor - Added in 2.9.2 - SAK-23266 - Add support for fMath plugin for CKEditor Closed
Web Content Tool (updated in 2.9.2)
• Technical upgrade to Web Content Tool, using JSR-168 Portlet - SAK-12563 - Build JSR-168 Portlet as Complete Replacement for Web.Content Tool Closed
• Improved management of embedded web sites - SAK-21624 - Check the headers of the URL to see if it allows being framed Closed
Administration and System Management
• Improved stability, security, and sustainability.
• Tomcat 7/Java 6 recommended configuration and support for Java 7.
• Well over 700 bug fixes and several dozen security fixes.
• New security infrastructure introduced in Sakai 2.9.2 (off by default, to allow piloting) - KNL-1015 - Replace custom stuff in formattedtext with Antisamy processing Closed
• Support for delegated administration has been added. (Not OOTB, but support to plug in feature is included.)
• Ability to host uploaded content on a separate domain. - Implementation Documentation
• Improved caching for performance - KNL-532 - Upgrade Ehcache to enable distributed mode (2.5.1) Closed
• Has been enhanced to support Polls, Basic LTI, Questions Pools and Assignment supplements.
• Bulk CSV user management support has been added.
• Improvements to configuration management and system documentation.