Sakai 2.9 contains significant performance improvements, updated technical infrastructure, hundreds of bug fixes (over 600 bug fixes and over 20 security improvements), and it sports a new, updated look and feel, including smoother navigation, with a new neo-portal skin. Significant features have been added to the Resources, Gradebook, and Section Info tools in core Sakai. Major additions and improvements have been made to the “Indies,” including Lessons, which is now turned on by default, Samigo Test & Quizzes, Profile 2, Forums and Messages.
• CK editor inclusion improves accessibility
• Accessibility improvements to the brand new NeoPortal
• Significantly improved the accessibility of dynamic menus in the resources tool
• For a complete and in-depth analysis of all accessibility improvements to Sakai 2.9.0 visit the Accessibility Working Group’s webpage http://bit.ly/sak-awg
Basic LTI (IMS Learning Tools Interoperability)
• Support for Basic LTI was upgraded from version 1.3 to 2.0 in Sakai 2.9.0 and 2.9.1
• Support for Basic LTI was upgraded from version 2.0 to 2.1 in Sakai 2.9.2 . Please see LTI - Release 2.1.0 Notes
- Support for Basic LTI was upgraded from version 2.1 to 2.1.1 in Sakai 2.9.2 . Please see LT - Release 2.1.1 Notes
• Delegated Access Tool - not OOTB - new Contrib Tool
• Statistics and Grading (check all cases where you can grade (bulk grading, etc))
• Require users to post before they can read posts - setting per forum - - MSGCNTR-411Getting issue details... STATUS
• Word count for messages
• Improved permissions settings layout - - MSGCNTR-542Getting issue details... STATUS
• Checks for, and prevents, duplicate Forum and Topic names
• Profile picture displays next to each post - - MSGCNTR-584Getting issue details... STATUS
• Option to set open (show) and close (hide) dates - - MSGCNTR-309Getting issue details... STATUS
• Options to duplicate forum and duplicate topic
• The term "threads" changed to "conversations" throughout UI
• In Topic menu, "Display Entire Message" option changed to "Display Message Content"
• Topic menu always displays at top of Topic screen (previously, it displayed beneath breadcrumbs when in "Display Subject Only" mode and at the top when in "Display Entire Message" mode.
• Drop highest, drop lowest and keep highest grade options - - SAK-19964Getting issue details... STATUS
• Hide/show columns in All Grades page - - SAK-19731Getting issue details... STATUS
• PDF export option added - - SAK-20118Getting issue details... STATUS
• Institutionally defined final course grade export, in addition to existing grade export options - - SAK-22204Getting issue details... STATUS (New in Sakai 2.9.2)
• Ability to define and import a group with a CSV file. - - SAK-21407Getting issue details... STATUS
• Randomly assign users to a set of groups (maintainer specifies the desired group size or the desired number of groups) - - SAK-22253Getting issue details... STATUS
Help Documentation (new for Sakai 2.9.1 and updated in Sakai 2.9.3)
• Sakai online Help has been updated to reflect tool changes between 2.8.x and 2.9.x
• Ability to set a language different than the system default on a site level.
Lessons - Lessons (formerly Lesson Builder)
• New part of core Sakai !!!
• Student-centric features added including allowing students to create pages and comment on pages.
• An anonymous option is available.
• Support for IMS Common Cartridge import. Version 1.1 for 2.9.0 and version 1.2 for 2.9.1. Support for IMS Basic LTI tools have been added.
• BCC (blind cc option)
NeoChat - experimental tool - being piloted at smaller installations. For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
• NeoChat is a new social network chat tool which has not been thoroughly vetted for performance at large scale.
Neo-portal and updated skin - (for more information see Sakai 2.9 portal changes and see Sakai 2.9 and Sakai 10 skin guide for updates in Sakai 2.9.2)
• Provides an improved user interface design, including collapsible toolbar navigation enhanced with descriptive icons, and direct navigation to a tool from the site navigation bar.
• Once logged in, a user can go to profile settings from My Workspace or by clicking the icon in the top right corner.
• Ability to create a new site with selected connections. - - PRFL-388Getting issue details... STATUS
• More flexiblity with preferences, searching and privacy.
• Provides zip expansion of uploaded files. - - KNL-273Getting issue details... STATUS
• Allows export of files to zip format. (System property setting required.
• Optional URL shortening for resource access
• Unpublished sites can be published with a single click. - - SAK-22732Getting issue details... STATUS
• Language preferences are now supported at the local worksite level, overriding system-wide language default.
• Import from Site updates links to content correctly - - SAK-16568Getting issue details... STATUS
Tests & Quizzes (Samigo)
• Easier distinction between published and working copies of quizzes. - - SAM-894Getting issue details... STATUS
• Ability to set score for students who have not submitted their work. - - SAM-904Getting issue details... STATUS
• After a Test has been published, random question ordering option within Part. -
SAM-1328Getting issue details...
• Can now place due date on Schedule tool - - SAM-1121Getting issue details... STATUS
• A new matrix survey question type has been added.
• Scientific and complex number notation support. - - SAM-1221Getting issue details... STATUS
• Add the new options from TII 2.9.2 in the Assignments Tool.
• Target a repository, target databases
• An institution can choose which settings are available via sakai.properties
• CKEditor 3.6.2 has replaced the FCKEditor as the default.
• CKEditor provides major accessibility improvements, speed increases, Word-format-stripping by default, and works better with most mobile devices.
• Addition of Math Editing in CK Editor - Added in 2.9.2 - - SAK-23266Getting issue details... STATUS
Web Content Tool (updated in 2.9.2)
• Technical upgrade to Web Content Tool, using JSR-168 Portlet - - SAK-12563Getting issue details... STATUS
• Improved management of embedded web sites - - SAK-21624Getting issue details... STATUS
Administration and System Management
• Improved stability, security, and sustainability.
• Tomcat 7/Java 6 recommended configuration and support for Java 7.
• Well over 700 bug fixes and several dozen security fixes.
• New security infrastructure introduced in Sakai 2.9.2 (off by default, to allow piloting) - - KNL-1015Getting issue details... STATUS
• Support for delegated administration has been added. (Not OOTB, but support to plug in feature is included.)
• Ability to host uploaded content on a separate domain. - Implementation Documentation
• Improved caching for performance - - KNL-532Getting issue details... STATUS
• Has been enhanced to support Polls, Basic LTI, Questions Pools and Assignment supplements.
• Bulk CSV user management support has been added.
• Improvements to configuration management and system documentation.