Dial 1-888-447-7153 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-447-7153 end_of_the_skype_highlighting (International callers: 1-719-387-1138)
Enter in passcode: 917798 (the hit #)
Listen to music until "moderator" starts the call
Need help? Call tech support at 1-877-807-0970
- Welcome and Introductions
- Notetaker volunteers? Etherpad: http://titanpad.com/tl-lenses
- Todays Topics
- Meeting schedule (should we continue to meet over the summer, and if so at what frequency; does the Monday timeslot work or should we consider a different day of the week and time?)
- Strategies for expanding and sustaining the membership of the lenses group (our numbers have been dwindling over the last few months; are there things we can do or change to attract new members and continue to engage existing members?)
- Meeting planning and facilitation (I know everyone's incredibly busy, but I'm hoping we can work out a plan to share the responsibility for facilitating the lenses meetings; with regard to the summer meetings, I will be unavailable on July 25 as well as August 15, 22, and 29).
- Goals and objectives (what do we want to accomplish in the coming year and what's the best path to achieve our goals?)
- Lynn Ward, Indiana
- Jon Hays, UC Berkeley
- Debbie Runshe, IUPUI
- Ann Jensen, TX State
- Salwa Khan, TX State
- Jon: a good time to re-evaluate; once we figure out what we're doing, then try to engage the broader community
- Jon's agenda: utilizing this group as an extension of the URG for the OAE.
- Lynn: Hinges on high level of involvement from Jon and David.
- Ann: Who is on the URG? What's their background and mission
- Jon: They are reps from schools that are actively participating in the managed project. Michigan (?), Berkeley (Jon Hays), Charles Sturt (Greg Hardham), Indiana (David Goodrum), NYU (Lucy Appert). Cambridge (John Norman); Original purpose was to respresent user needs to the project. Reps engage with local development team and local user groups. Provide feedback on needs and reflection back on design.
- Jon: the t&l lenses group can play a couple of dfferent roles; expands the effort of gathering input to other campuses who are not part of the managed project. Also, the T&L, portfolio community, and syllabus have expertise and passion around a specific area; design lenses group can serve as conduit.
- Jon: a big priority is to increase communication and transparency.
- What evening woud be best? a Wednesday or Thursday, the 5PM ET; Wednesday would be simpler, in that our week off would be the week that the wednesay full group meeting occurs.
- Jon: Would like to get a little bit ahead of the managed project and inform the development team by developing minispecs, user stories, and use cases. We could get started working now on requirements for capbilities that will be developed in the fall.
- Jon: the lenses hasn't gotten it's collective process down; why have members of the group dropped off
- Salwa: had competing priorities; partly she felt that she wants to be involved in something with a tangible product and some resolution.
- Ann: interesting conversations, but hard to justify the time if there are no tangible outcomes
- Debbie: the direction Jon is describing sounds promising
- Jon: we are in a place where the design lenses group can engage in substantive work.
- Jon: thinking abour engaging the UX design community in a coalition with us. Jon has been talking to the UX people at Berkeley in engaging in calls in a shared facilitation role. We as the T&L folks, we often jump around from user needs to figuring out how to make it work. UX people are able to be more abstract about discussing user needs; we could try it out and run it through some paces.
- Keep the focus on capabilities that are coming up in the roadmap for the managed project.
- Let's meet weekly unless we don't have something specific to deal with.
- Jon will send out a message to the rest of the group, indicating a shift from Mondays to Wednesdays.
- Good to have the discipline of meeting at a regular time, but with the option to make it short or skip it if there's nothing substantive to discuss.
- Jon: Let's remember this call, and frequently check in about our progress and throughts about the value of the group.