The shortened url for this page is http://bit.ly/sakaiTLhome
Welcome to the Teaching and Learning (T&L) Group!
To drive innovation on teaching and learning within the Sakai community. To share best practices, understandings and experiences among faculty members themselves and between faculty and other Sakai community members. To communicate the goals and issues of the teaching and learning community to contributors in Sakai including developers, UX (user experience), system administrators, documentation, support, and QA (quality assurance).
Hello and welcome!
This confluence site is the gathering place for folks interested in teaching, learning and assessment within the Sakai community. We are actively looking for more folks to contribute so please wander around and jump in wherever you wish. You may also want to join the "Teaching & Learning" (i.e. "pedagogy") discussion group. If you have questions e-mail Joshua Baron.
See our Meeting Schedule and Sign up for our Mailing Lists on our Communications Page.
See who is active in the T&L Group now.
Coming off the 2010 International Sakai Conference, the T&L Group has identified four areas of focus for the upcoming year. There are many opportunities to get involved in the groups, and the T&L community would be very pleased to have new engagement and perspectives.
- Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award 2011 Committee - This group is leading the process to define and execute the Teaching with Sakai Innovation Awards. The group is responsible for creating the definition the award, defining the rubric, recruiting judges, encouraging submissions, and facilitating the judging and award process.
- Award Brainstorming Page - Provides background information about the brainstorming and conference discussions that informed the project.
- Sakai Learning Capabilities Design Lenses- The design lenses have became an important touchpoint with the requirements for Sakai 3. As the Sakai 3 project moves forward, this group is working closely with the product manager and the resources dedicated to the Sakai 3 Managed Project to translate the design lenses into functional requirements that can be used in the development of Sakai 3. This effort would likely then inform a refining of the Lenses and a 2.0 release.
- Design Lenses Brainstorming Page - Provides background information about the brainstorming and conference discussions that informed the project.
- Distance Learning Community - The distance learning community is focused specifically on the use of Sakai in fully online courses. The group hopes to share best practices, faculty training, and support materials related to distance learning. The group will also consider options for faculty across institutions to engage in professional development (online) together.
- Sakai Distance Learning Brainstorming Page - Provides background information about the brainstorming and conference discussions that informed the project.
- Student Engagement in the Community - Students are an important constituent of the Sakai community whose active participation in the community is not visible. This group is focused on identifying initial steps to engage students in the community in a more active and visible manner.
In support of these efforts, the T&L community is actively managing the communications both within and across the groups. Please view the following page to review and provide feedback the communications plans and priorities of the T&L community. The intent of this effort is to both increase engagement and more easily share the work of this group with those that cannot commit time to be actively involved. Please do not hesitate to provide feedback on the communications efforts. T&L Communications
The communications team is also in the process of refining the strategy for enhancement and use of the Open Ed Practices site. Input and plans on the use of the site are captured at Open Ed Practices Planning and Feedback.
Each of the initiative groups will hold regular meetings. Please see the calendar of T&L group events.
Back to top
The Sakai Learning Capabilities v 1.0 document has been released. This document is the culmination of months of work by the Sakai Teaching & Learning Community via conference calls and virtual meetings. Discussions at the last conference were the catalyst for this work. Now we anticipate this work will be a catalyst for Sakai 3 design and development.
Back to top
T&L Conference Calls and Meetings
We try to record minutes of meetings. See the How To Take Notes in Meetings if you have such a duty.
Calls are currently taking place the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 5 PM EDT (New York, USA). To participate:
- Dial 1-888-447-7153 (International callers: 1-719-387-1138)
- Enter in passcode: 917798 (the hit #)
- Listen to music until "moderator" starts the call
- Need help? Call tech support at 1-877-807-0970
Etherpad for monthly calls: http://titanpad.com/t-l
Agendas, Minutes and Notes from Past Calls and Meetings
CALL PRIOR TO 2010 SAKAI CONFERENCE
- NOTE: The T&L has been heavily engaged in work on the Learning Capabilities since February. Because of the detailed and specific nature of this work, we have not been actively taking meeting minutes/notes. If you have questions about the current work please post to the T&L list.
Conference Calls' Archive
Back to top
Back to top