Child pages
  • Agenda, T&L Design Lenses, 26 July 2010
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

AGENDA

Some of what we will be discussing on the call flows from the earlier Design Lenses Brainstorming Page that we engaged in after the Denver conference.

  1. Welcome and Introductions
     
  2. Notetaker volunteers? July 26 Etherpad: http://titanpad.com/SnXTrnefBr
     
  3. Agenda for July 26 Meeting (minutes below):
     
    1.  Next Steps for Learning Design Lens Initiative
      1. OBJECTIVE:  Move from theoretical work of the past year to a more "applied" phase in which we are using the Lenses to activity play a role in design work.  The Sakai 3 Road Map is available on Confluence.
      2. Apply lenses to a specific Sakai 3 development goal
      3. Develop "user stories" (i.e. user journeys, personas, etc.) based on lenses
      4. Work with existing design efforts/groups to integrate lenses into already established processes/models (e.g. work with Keli on Stanford's initiative around redesigning Samigo
    2. Possible Near-Term Action Items
      1. Syncing up with Keli and Michigan folks who are following user driven design models - We are using the same terminology to describe different things and also need to try and coordinate more so that we are best leveraging limited resources
      2. Ask Sakai 3 Steering Committee how we might best assist/which Sakai 3 deliverables might be best to focus on
        1. The functional analyst team is gearing up to create a "toolkit" for development requirements around Sakai 3
      3. Talk with Sakai 3 Project Director (Alan Marks) to get his input/thoughts
      4. Talk with the Product Council
      5. ???
    3. Sub-Group Logistics
      1. Schedule (date/time)/frequency for regular calls
      2. Technology to use for calls (how to best facilitate/support international callers)
      3. Asynchronous communication - status of listserv that Kim and Anthony were going to set up for this sub-group.
      4. Updating and refreshing current sub-group page
      5. T&L and Community communication
        1. Webinars on the Lenses
        2. Newsletter postings
        3. Reporting out

 

Meeting Notes:

In Attendence (sign in below):

  • Jacques Raynauld
  • Keli Amann
  • Ann Jensen
  • Salwa Khan
  • Lynn Ward
  • Greg Hardham
  • Josh Baron
  • David Goodrum
  • Jon Hays
  • Angela White
  • Debbie Runshe
  • Daphne Ogle
  • Rita Pavolka
  • Robin Hill

Agenda for July 26 Meeting  (minutes below):
          
 Next Steps for Learning Design Lens Initiative                 
OBJECTIVE:  Move from theoretical work of the past year to a more "applied" phase in which we are using the Lenses to activity play a role in design work.

  • Apply lenses to a specific Sakai 3 development goal
  • Sakai 3 steering committee has developed roadmap with quarterly objectives
  • Develop "user stories" (i.e. user journeys, personas, etc.) based on lenses
  • Narrative descriptons that center around the lenses.
  • Work with existing design efforts/groups to integrate lenses into already established processes/models (e.g. work with Keli on Stanford's initiative around redesigning Samigo
  • Need to try to determine which is the highest priority of those listed above.  Keli, Lynn, and Daphne are part of managed project.  Learning activities work conducted by Stanford and others is on hold for the moment.    We've been trying to make sense of approximately 600 requirements that have been developed by initial stakeholders.  Need to find out of the pilot institutions are on the same page.  Trying to get ahead of the game.  Designers are heads down in quarter 1.   One of our goals is trying to figure out what will be on the roadmap and figure out what we know and what work needs to be done.  Trying to put together a toolkit that  defines the types of activities we can engage in to help designers.  
  • 1-2 hours of training for folks who participated in the Learning activities research.  
  • Josh: what's happening in Sakai 3 reminds him of what was happening with Sakai 1.  Pressure to get the product out the door.  Concerns that we're skipping the critical steps.  Need to find ways to jump.  
  • Daphne: what's being develpped now is settung the stage for future functionality.
  • Josh: we've learned lessons about the tension between getting the product out the door and doing the necessary user research.
  • Q1 work focused on social networking, groups, chat.  
  • Keli: Concerns that a lot of work is underway but there is a lack of awareness.
  • Daphne:  more organized prioritization in terms of what functionality goes into the product first.
  • One of the projects tha Daphne proposed is identifying the roadmap items that need more research so we can get out in front of them.
  • Jacques:  great ideas, but we need a place so we can see what's being created, review the designs before its too late.  How will the research be fed into something that the T&L group can see and comment upon.
  • David Goodrum:* Communication is critical and Alan understand that
  • How to get the most direct information to people as it becomes available so people know
  • Current lists may not be useful
  • Thinking about some very focused communications about Sakai 3
  • Oscar has posted some summaries with links to wireframes
  • John Norman created an outline-form manifesto on academic social networking
  • Functional analysts will be bringing questions to the Lenses group
  • What is the best way to inject prior work that's been done, it will be back through the functional analysts.
  • Better define and in more detail for Sakai hybrid mode.  Tool by tool analysis. David will be working on this and will be brining it to the T&L community.* Robin can help this fall; she'll be at Stanford.
  • Josh:  could try to find a way to apply the lenses to work that's beng done now.  We will learn from the process of applying the lenses to a specific deliverable.
  • Keli:  Daphne and Keli working with some folks on Syllabus.  
  • David:  * two or three levels of abstraction to get to the lenses and their definition.  Take a look at some of the items in Q1 or some of the items in Q2 and look back to the T&L spreadsheet items as kernels for a variety of user stories.* David pasted John Norman manifesto on academic networking at the bottom of etherpad; would be helpful if this group could take a look an comment on it.
  • Josh:  freeflowing disussion--let it percolate and meet again in a week and try to get more specific about what we want to do.
  • Josh:  still a lot of startup work going on in the managed project.  WE should pick something that we think will be usedul and apply the lenses to it.  Possibly pick out an item on the roadmap and just try ti flesh it out using the lenses.
  • David: Hoping Alan Marks can bring some examples of the types of products that members of the T&L group can produce to assist designers.
  • Action items:  * Put some questions together for Alan Marks
  • David rely questions to Alan and invite Alan to attend a meeting on 2-3 weeks

Possible Near-Term Action Items                 

  • Syncing up with Keli and Michigan folks who are following user driven design models - We are using the same terminology to describe different things and also need to try and coordinate more so that we are best leveraging limited resources
  • Ask Sakai 3 Steering Committee how we might best assist/which Sakai 3 deliverables might be best to focus on                         
  • The functional analyst team is gearing up to create a "toolkit" for development requirements around Sakai 3

Talk with Sakai 3 Project Director (Alan Marks) to get his input/thoughts
Talk with the Product Council
???
                
Sub-Group Logistics                 

  • Schedule (date/time)/frequency for regular calls* meet weekly, 5-6pm EDT, except for the week we have the large group call.
  • Josh will touch base with other convenors to find out what days they are meeting on.* Technology to use for calls (how to best facilitate/support international callers)
  • Asynchronous communication - status of listserv that Kim and Anthony were going to set up for this sub-group.
  • Updating and refreshing current sub-group page
  • T&L and Community communication                         
  • Webinars on the Lenses--there are videos on the lenses at: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Sakai+Learning+Capabilities+v+1.0
  • Newsletter postings
  • Reporting out
                            
                    
    Personal Pages (Manifesto)
    Here is a draft of a 'manifesto' for personal pages. Lucy has seen it an inserted the comments in square brackets. - John Norman (shared with the group by David Goodrum)

--------------

Personal Pages and Networking

Sakai 3 has an emphasis on individual needs and encouraging networking between individuals. Several different needs have been identified for personal pages:
1. I want to tell the world/members of my institution about me so they can find me and contact me when appropriate. The level of contact could vary from a phone call or email, through 'following' my updates to my network/ public information site to formally requesting a 'contact' relationship.

[Part of finding me should include the inclusion of automatic branding/theming that indicates my institution and school or program within my institution]

2. I want to tell specific audiences about myself so they can assess me for (info) progress through my university career, (ii) potential employment, (iii) achievement against targets (including exams), etc.
3. I want to have all that is going on in Sakai (and maybe the institution) that is particular to me, summarised on a single page. This is the dashboard/portal and could include things like 'homework due dates' etc.
4. I need to maintain certain information about myself so that the system works efficiently.
5. I want an ad-hoc set of pages that I can edit to record private or public information such as a diary, or an essay outline. 

[I want to be able to create, save, and share these pages to other sites such as my portfolio archive or a course site]

Different institutions may wish to place different emphasis on different aspects of this sort of information and it should be possible to configure the default locations that a user is taken to when they (a) click on a person's name anywhere in the system and (b) click on 'Home/MySakai'. An institution may not choose to deploy all options and the software should be able to cope with some of the options not being deployed. Where the system depends on an option to work, that dependency should be clear.

I think this captures the range of uses of personal pages that I am aware of and the configurability that I believe will allow different institutions to have different 'profiles' of networking emphasis. If you agree, I think it implies changing roadmap goals 1.3 and 1.6 which we should probably take to the URG.

  • No labels