Last revised January 2010
- Sakai 2.6 (Current Release)
- Sakai 2.7 (Release Date: end of April 2010)
- Sakai 3 (In development: Milestone 1 available in April 2010)
The most current release is Sakai 2.6.1, which was released on October 15, 2009.
QA testing for Sakai 2.7.0 is underway. The set of new tools and capabilities in 2.7 include:
Sakai 2.7.0 is expected to be released in April 2010.
Sakai 3 represents a rewrite of the Sakai framework, both technically and as a reimagined user experience. Its first set of designs came out of the UX initiative, and its early development has been led by Cambridge. A second UX design phase started in September of 2009, and will culminate in a milestone to be ready for QA by April 2010.
Sakai 3 (S3) development is a distributed effort with many moving parts. Development work going toward Sakai 3 falls into one of 3 tiers.
Efforts to inform S3
Sakai 3 aims to be user-centered and design-led, and so its develop takes the insight and research of its functional and UX communities as key inputs:
- Sakai's Teaching and Learning community has been rallying around an effort to distill fundamental user needs. Much of the current work is focused on the shared editing of a Learning Capabilities spreadsheet.
- OSP: Sakai's OSP community has also for some time been engaged in a review of portfolio capabilities, and what insights should anchor eportfolios in a new generation of product.
- Learning Activities user research.
- Sakaibrary user research.
- Groups user research.
- Academic Networking user research.
The first deployable milestone should be ready for QA by April 2010. This first production milestone should establish a new UX framework for Sakai and begin to offer new capabilities for sharing content, authoring pages and workspaces, and setting up simple groups outside course and site contexts. The latest state of the development work can be experienced directly at http://3akai.sakaiproject.org/dev.
A second milestone is targeted for EOY 2010. Planning for this stage of development is underway.