Help Keep the Roadmap Up-To-Date!
If you have updated planning information to share, you can either comment on this page or email the Project Coordinator (Peter A. Knoop). Thanks.
The next major release, Sakai 2.6, is currently in production at early adopter schools. The official Sakai 2.6 release is scheduled for Mid July, 2009.
With regards to future releases, plans are solidifying around a final release in the 2.x series (2.7), likely 2010 (tentative), and an initial release candidate in the Sakai 3.x series (with limited functionality) likely in early 2010, and the first, full, official Sakai 3 release occurring 2011?. A major change between the 2.x and 3.x series, is the switch from Kernel 1 to Kernel 2, the fundamental framework code on which Sakai is based.
In the meantime, and with a goal of helping the community better understand and track the evolution of Sakai, it's important to keep the Sakai Roadmap up-to-date. So please do you part to contribute and keep up-to-date information on your activities, by providing periodic updates to Peter A. Knoop, the Sakai Project Coordinator, for aggregation in to this page.
For convenience, we are also compiling a list of links to other projects' roadmaps on which key Sakai capabilities depend.
The current release in the Sakai 2.x series is Sakai 2.5. The next minor release, Sakai 2.6, is currently available as a beta, with a first release candidate coming in mid-December 2008, and official release in early February 2009. A final release, Sakai 2.7, is likely in early 2010, with support and maintenance releases available through early 2012. The user experience will not undergo any drastic changes and will remain relatively consistent through the end of the 2.x series to provide stability for local documentation and training materials and customizations; significant changes and improvements in Sakai will come along with the shift to Sakai 3.
The goals for Sakai 2.7 are:
- Minor improvements, bug fixing, and performance enhancements across the board.
- demo release, including example content and functionality from selected Contrib projects.
- Based on a Kernel 1.1 release.
The list of Jira Tasks scheduled for Sakai 2.7.
Overview of Planned Sakai 2.7 Enhancements and Changes
- Display group information in preview mode for group-targeted announcements ( - SAK-14677Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Include group information in email notifications for group-targeted announcements ( - SAK-14678Getting issue details... STATUS )
Assignments1 (Current Tool)
- Adjust assignment upload options to reflect submission type ( - SAK-14869Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Add assignment download options to make it symmetric with upload options ( - SAK-14461Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Update to use current GradebookExternalAssessmentService ( - SAK-14709Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Allow students to upload revisions to submissions up until Assignment due date ( - SAK-14746Getting issue details... STATUS )
Assignments2 (Re-written Tool)
- A variety of incremental improvements to the user interface ( - SAK-13736Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Improve performance of statistics page ( - SAK-12754Getting issue details... STATUS )
- View how many people have read a message ( - SAK-10559Getting issue details... STATUS ?)
- Make forums' content available to Search ( - SAK-5568Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Ability for instructor to email author of thread or message ( - SAK-11740Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Optional email notifications for new posts ( - SAK-11740Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Optional support for displaying all messages marking them as read ( - SAK-10869Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Pre-populate Message Centre with a default forum and topic ( - SAK-11167Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Display last activity time and sort by recent activity in thread view ( - SAK-9806Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Tracking Issue: UCT Imporvements to Forums (listed above) ( - SAK-14950Getting issue details... STATUS )
Gradebook1 (Current Tool)
- Update gradebook helpers to current gradebook functionality for create/edit and grade-and-item ( - SAK-14602Getting issue details... STATUS )
Gradebook2 (Rewritten Tool)
- Add semantic markup to matrix's HTML to give users more control of the matrix's appearance using a custom stylesheet ( - SAK-13798Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Separate the tool and service aspects; move SakaiPerson out of Profile ( - SAK-11303Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Extend SakaiPerson to provide more fields for information ( - SAK-15165Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Enhancements for better editing and display of information.
- Improvements to event logging ( - SAK-12648Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Allow setting a default view (daily, weekly, monthly) ( - SAK-15106Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Eliminate duplicate external calendar subscriptions when merging calendars from multiple sites ( - SAK-14880Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Display source site for merged schedule items ( - SAK-14854Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Removed gray shading in PDF ( - SAK-14680Getting issue details... STATUS )
Site Info/Worksite Setup
- Enable display of roster course management EIDs in non-course site types ( - SAK-12677Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Convert notifications to use Email Template service ( - SAK-12995Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Ability to copy site participant list from another site ( - SAK-13797Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Add support for modifying Worksite Setup survey questions ( - SAK-14748Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Improved sorting of site participant list ( - SAK-14723Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Ability to set an alias for site's URL ( - SAK-14483Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Optional property to switch off presence in users' MyWorkspace( - SAK-11220Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Enable easier customization of login dialog ( - SAK-12841Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Site hierarchy ( - SAK-12350Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Add a style support for PDA portal ( - SAK-14695Getting issue details... STATUS , - SAK-14827Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Ability to embed a bit of HMTL from a Site Property in the Background Document of a Site ( - SAK-15097Getting issue details... STATUS )
- New UserTypeMapper implementation which always sets user types to a given String ( - SAK-14648Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Update skins so that we can use better, more meaningful, more specific markup ( - SAK-12071Getting issue details... STATUS )
The initial vision for the Sakai 3.x series is still coming together. An early look at this work as evolves can be found on this demo server:
Tentative goals for Sakai 3.x are listed below, however, please keep in mind this is a work-in-progress:
- Significant improvements in the user experience, drawing heavily on Web 2.0 thinking, such as dashboards, widgets, gadgets, drag-and-drop support, etc.
- Content authoring and organization capabilities to provide more flexibility in populating and organizing sites.
- Expansion of permission scope beyond the current site-exclusive-basis.
- Better cross-tool workflow and integration.
- Add social networking capabilities.
- Ease of development through improved separation of concerns between java developers, java script programmers, and user experience designers.
- Improved scalability and robustness.
- Decreased production complexity and resource requirements.
- Simplified installation and expansion requirements.
These goals are further described in a Sakai 3 Proposal document.
With the release of Sakai 2.6 key, supporting, back-end services were separated out into an independent kernel project, Kernel 1 (or K1). This was done in part with the longer term goal of providing a more stable, better organized framework against which to build tools, and to allow the framework and tools to evolve on separate time-scales. This separation was a key step on the way to rethinking kernel services for Kernel 2.
The goals for the Kernel 1.0.x series are:
- Bug-fixing in support of Sakai 2.6.x through early 2011.
- Kernel 1.0.0 Jira Roadmap
- Kernel 1.0.x Jira Roadmap
- Kernel 1.0.1 Jira Roadmap
The goals for the Kernel 1.1.x series are:
- Bug-fixing and minor improvements in support of the Sakai 2.7 series through early 2012.
- Ability to cluster-enable Sakai to support session fail-over using Terracotta ( - SAK-13324Getting issue details... STATUS )
- Kernel 1.1.0 Jira Roadmap
Most of the information on Kernel 2.x can currently be found here.
The goals for the Kernel 2.x series are:
The Sakai 3.x series will eventually switch from being based on Kernel 1 to Kernel 2 in early- to mid- 2009. Sakai 2.x will not make use of Kernel 2 services, and will remain base on Kernel 1 services; however, much of the functionality of Sakai 2.x will initially be made available in Sakai 3.x through a compatibility approach.