Sakai WG - Usage Data
Easily accessible information about usage is critical to the work of Sakai-related staff including support staff, designers, researchers, developers, testers, and system administrators. Current capabilities to gather the required data and tools to present and interpret it are limited and vary across Sakai implementations. The Sakai Usage Data group intends to fully describe the types of usage data needed by all stakeholders, compare current strategies for gathering and interpreting usage data, and specify new strategies for gathering and interpreting data. Development of these strategies may be undertaken as a Sakai project.
Focusing on the use cases allows us to see that while there are many stakeholders who need usage data, the data in many cases is the same. This site has been structured around the initial use cases shown below. My hope is that the use case focus will allow us to design/deliver meaningful and complete chunks of usage data as we progress. In addition, we can compare ways that we access particular types of data across institutions, helping us understand the complexities of global and local configurations.
Each use case below has a page to house discussion and examples. The image at right is a diagram linking the use cases, the actors and their responsibilities.
- Use Case 1 - Find out who did a particular action in a site
- Use Case 2 - Find out when a particular action in a site happened
- Use Case 3 - Find trends in usage over time
- Use Case 4 - Find out how often a particular widget is used
- Use Case 5 - Find out how often users visit each page
- Use Case 6 - Characterize use by course and department
- Use Case 7 - Characterize use by properties of objects in a tool or site
- Use Case 8 - Measure activity by user
Related Sakai 2.2 Requirements
- REQ-5: Site Usage statistics tool Community Ranking: 83 votes (28 critical, 31 essential, 22 desirable, 2 not applicable
- REQ-54: Log searching tool Community Ranking: 63 votes (18 critical, 12 essential, 32 desirable, 1 not applicable)
- REQ-152: Server-wide usage statistics Community Ranking: 52 votes (15 critical, 21 essential, 15 desirable, 1 not applicable)
- REQ-160: User activity information displayed with profile Community Ranking: 56 votes (8 critical, 11 essential, 29 desirable, 8 not applicable)
- REQ-237: Generate usage reports from within Sakai
- REQ-330: Documentation: Need to write an architecture document on the Sakai Event Mechanism