Child pages
  • 2009-03-02 Conference Call
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 2 Next »

Meeting minutes for March 2, 2009

  1. Sakai/OSP 2.6 Issues and Status
    • 2.6 QA Testing Status. Pete is looking for update on the blocker, SAK-15579. When Beth logged in as portfolio owner, it works, but breaks when someone else uses it. Noah will try to look at it.
    • SAK-15348 Imported Matrices do not retain links to global forms. Chris Mauer is looking at this. Marked as critical. Problem evident in 2.5, so maybe shouldn't be critical. Beth resetting it to major. Only seems to be reproducible in certain environments.
    • SAK-15276 Edit links appears for all reviewers/evaluators on feedback/evaluation, though they cannot edit. Assigned to Noah.
    • SAK-15541 Evaluators from different groups click on evaluations and get a 500 error. Unassigned. Beth will look at.
    • SAK-15540 Matrix in "Preview" status is unavailable to users. Beth will look at it.
    • SAK-15722 sort order does not remain consistent through 'previous' and 'next' page movements in the OSP evaluations tool. Should be easy to fix, but no takers.
    • SAK-15748 Add owner name information to form metadata for view renderer use. The idea is that when you make a view renderer, you can display the uid, displayName, and email address. Is not displayed in standard view, so blind reviews are unaffected.
    • Additional JIRAs: SAK-15734, SAK-15736 Null Pointer Exceptions. Beth is having trouble reproducing either of these. There is a backlog of bugs that have been fixed but not merged to 2.6. We need people to help verify the 8 bugs on the list that Beth made. Sean will verify them.
  2. Sakai/OSP 2.7 and beyond Development Status
    Jan posted minutes from last meeting under Community Ideas for Future OSP Releases. Last week three ideas figured prominently:1. Tagging with goals, especially with groups transcending sites and the ability to link to more things than just matrices. 2. Rethinking what matrices and wizards do. 3. Social networking

Where is there money? What is the largest critical mass we can get together to actually do something? Portfolio-related vignettes page has some ideas related to goals. 3 items have to do with meta-tagging, and two with user experience. If we are going after grant money, we should be thinking in terms of a new vision for 3.0. Preferably something more flexible than the current system. Roz will find out what happened with the grant proposal that was put together by Brett, Melissa, and Darren Cambridge, but it may not have been very Sakai-oriented. 

LaGuardia has a decree from on high that they are to use Blackboard, which is hindering their ePortfolio work. Noah pointed out that the new IMS work should make integration with Blackboard feasible, allowing for mash-up of content, plugging in modules, etc. Blackboard and Pearson are leading the initiative.

RINET talked about moving from a K-12 perspective to K-20, where goals mapped in school can be carried over into co

  1. #* Content Authoring and Sakai 3 Development Updates. Peter Knoop has done a couple demos of Sakai 3.0, but the notification was not sent out to the portfolios list. There will be another demo scheduled for 3:00 March 11. Noah will circulate information about it.
    • OSP Functionality for 2.7/3.0 and beyond
      • Portfolio-related vignettes Mark Zaldivar set up a page where people can enter short user scenarios about what they would like portfolios to do in 3.0. Think of it as a wish list. Noah pointed out that the term vignettes is now being used by 3.0 people to refer to widgets that can be embedded in a page. People are encouraged to add suggestions/ideas on the page, which is now linked to from the Meetings page.
    • OSP Design and Development The remainder of the meeting was spent discussing a vision for the future. We need to be more ready to contribute to ideas on Sakai 3.0 long before meetings at the July Sakai Conference in Boston. There was discussion of coming up with a small project, like the Portfolio tool reworking, that we could do as a group and have some confidence that the task would be completed. There was also discussion of more "blue sky" ideas. Jan Smith noted that many new clients are clustering around Schools of Education, and are interested in features that were present in Goal Management. In addition, we talked about making use of the Sakai 3.0 Portfolio-related vignettes.
      • The first subject we focused on was the general idea of tagging with goals. The ability to create goal sets and make them available to users. What are the first few things we would like users to be able to do? Just as groups transcend sites, goal sets should. Some sets might be available to everyone, some just to a group, some even individual. Goal Management is a good place to start a project, because there are no issues of backwards compatibility. Josh Ryan at AZ State has done a lot of work on this in connection with the IDEAL Project being done in conjunction with the AZ Dept. of Ed. This is a pool of questions that are each associated with one or more goals. The questions can be browsed and used by teachers in tests. The questions are in an external data store, but the browser is a Sakai contrib tool. We could learn something from them about how to deal with large goal sets.
      • Another possible focus is rethinking what matrices and wizards do. Michigan and IU, for example, have had some discussion of rewriting the tools to complete their integration.
      • There was also discussion of social networking in Sakai: ways to get students to look at each other's portfolios, tagging, finding friends. This is important to LaGuardia.
  • No labels