Child pages
  • 3-11-2009 Conference Call
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 24 Next »

< Previous Meeting

Next Meeting >

Call-In Information

Calls are currently taking place on Wednesdays at 11:30 AM EDT (New York, USA) each week.

IMPORTANT: Please remember that the US is now on Daylight Savings Time.

  1. Call 1-888-447-7153 (International Dial in number is 847-619-4470)
  2. Enter in the Passcode: 5057885 (then hit the "#" key)
  3. Listen to the nice music until the Leader joins.

Participants: Christian (Rutgers), Brian (Marist), Mathieu (Delaware), Josh (Marist), Robin (Wyoming), Emily (JHU), John Hayes (Berkeley), Kate (Indiana), Janet (Delaware)

0. Welcome to new members!

  • Christian (Rutgers)
  • Brian (Marist)

1. TWSIA Judging

  • Kate ran a training session for committee last week.
  • Used Elluminate, worked ok, needs a bit of training.
  • 2:00 p.m. EDT would be better for Salim.
  • Use Doodle to set a good time.
  • Have a conference call available as a backup.
  • Skype conference calls seems to work fine with Connect.
    • Skype recorder available.
  • Josh needs frequent reminders.

2. Sakai Boston Conference

  • Need to make a realistic budget as the conference gets closer.

2.1 Pre-Conference Workshop

  • OSP will run a full day workshop.
    • A.M.: Intro.
    • P.M.: Technical stuff. Will let attendees come to our presentation.
  • Send announcements again to get more people involved.
  • Avoid duplicates.
  • Have people post material online before the conference.

2.2 Sessions

  • Discussion of T&L conference proposal ideas and recruiting of faculty/students to present.

2.3 Feature Presentation of the Winners

  • Paris: Had a 75, 90 minute slot. Worked fine.
  • Ask speakers to limit their presentation to 30 minutes, leave time for Q&A.
  • Need to be recorded.
  • Ask our sponsors to help us with this. Has value for them.
  • Keynote and featured speakers should also be recorded.

3. New Requirements Process

  • *# FRC: Staff from teaching centers, IT, prioritize suggestions for enhancements and makes recommendations to the OPC
    1. OPC: Mostly faculty--decides what development work will go forward
    • Getting the new LMS at par with the old one was the first big task.
    • "Suggestions" / requests come from many places:
  • *# Summary by suggestions analysis team from input from web-based form
    1. FRC members through their work with faculty and staff
    2. Requests from departments & schools for substantial enhancements and new functionality
    3. List of known issues, not bugs but "unexpected behaviors".
    4. Survey to users which generated list of top ten requests
    5. anaysi of previous suggestions
    • FRC does more than prioritize and make recommendations.
    • Evaluates Mneme, Samigo, BlogWow!,  copy and paste from Word.
    • Interaction with FRC and  developer team lead, functional analyist, and designer.
    • OPC reviews recommendations
    • Decide which tools need more design work.
    • Dev team make estimate, send it to OPC.
    • Strong leadership and committed resources are the is keys to success, IMHO. Also--flexible evoling process
    • User-driven, not dev-driven.
  • Josh: How should we address long-term, strategic vs. short-term fixes?
  • Kate: This is much more the focus of the OPC. David Goodrum could join us to discuss this.
  • Josh: Problem with smaller institutions pushing their requirements to institutions with developers (IU, Michigan, Cambridge, etc.).
  • Kate: Need to make tool development a multi-institutional endevor
  • Robin: How would this new process fit with what's happening right now (Jira)?
  • Josh: Last effort has had limited results.
  • We have to start from what has been done last time. Refresh the list.
  • Robin: Top 5 list process has been done already too.
  • No labels