Child pages
  • Board Minutes 2006 Mar 30
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

Version 1 Next »

Sakai Foundation Board of Directors Conference Call
March 30, 2006

This document contains minutes from the conference call of the Sakai Foundation Board of Directors held on March 30, 2006. Corrections, suggestions should be sent to Joseph Hardin and Mary Miles.

These minute capture both the discussion and formal resolutions of the board. Simply because something was discussed does not mean that it is the agreed-upon position of the board. When the board makes a formal resolution to approve an item, it will be noted as such in the minutes. If there is no such notation, readers should assume that the minutes are simply the notes of the board discussions.

Board members present: Joseph Hardin, Ian Dolphin, Chris Coppola, Jutta Treviranus, Mara Hancock, Vivie Sinou, Mary Miles (staff)

Topic: Community Source Updates
Chris reported that the Kuali project is going to be releasing the preview on the Kuali.org website for folks to experiment with and actually get to see the software. Chris will have someone send a note to Margaret and Susan for inclusion in the newsletter and on the website.

Chris also reported that OSP is in the last stretch for the newest release. They are running approximately two weeks behind, having intended to release in March. The current target is April 15. Joseph asked if he is running Sakai 2.1.1, can he drop in OSP or does he have to back out Sakai. Chris responded that you have to be running Sakai 2.2 and can then drop in OSP tools. There is a good process for doing that. Some of it is currently documented but it will be fully documented at the time of release.

Vivie reported that Melete for Sakai 2.1.2 will be a little behind as well. Future Melete development is extensive, and therefore it will not make the May 2 code freeze. JForum for Sakai 2.1.2 is packaged and ready to go. Foothill is waiting on Sakai 2.1.2 to release it. Chris continued that OSP will be doing minor enhancements and releases at that point, which won't harm the compatibility but won't have all of the features in place. Joseph added that from this point forward compatibility will be a major issue.

Vivie stated that they upgrade their production regularly because they need the latest code for Samigo. Joseph replied that UM will have it in their pilot and will run it over the summer with the intention of releasing in the fall. Vivie continued that there are lots of requests from the community for Oracle support for JForum but they do not have the resources to address this need. There are others in the community, such as rSmart and UC-B who are interested in taking on the Oracle work.

Topic: Fellows Program
Ian reported that the information on the Fellows Program has been posted. Closing dates for comments is tomorrow. So far, there are no major issues and people seem pretty happy with it. Ian stated that Lois really wants the call for nominations and call for committee participation to go tomorrow. Joseph suggested that the call for committee participation take place first, followed by the call for nominations. Ian agreed, noting that committee people need to be aware that they can't really be fellows. That must be stated very clearly. You can't be nominated and be on the committee. The goal is to have the first 5 chosen by Vancouver.

Topic: Executive Director Posting
On Lois' behalf, Mary reminded everyone to cross-post to every list they had available. Joseph noted that if we only have 5 candidates (plus Chuck) and they are mediocre, a face-to-face meeting may not be needed. The Board agreed.

Topic: Conference Updates
Mary provided an update on the recent visit to the Vancouver Sheraton. Joseph added that he will meet with Wende within the next week to determine whether all of the gaps are filled. We need to make sure that all areas are covered. For people who come up with strong submissions in the next couple of weeks, we will accept them; we just won't encourage people to be late.

Mitchell Baker has agreed to be a keynote speaker. Steven Downs, a potential additional speaker, has agreed to contact Wende or Joseph this week. John Seeley Brown suggested Brian Cantwell Smith as an alternative and he will be contacted by Jutta.

The board authorized Joseph to announce the MOU with Wende within the next week. The Board agreed that Wende is an energetic person who will be great at this.

Joseph also noted that we now have a full-time person here at the UM to work on ePortfolio on campus (Melissa). Please help her out every chance you get. She's very excited about this and is in touch with Wende.

Topic: Other Updates
Jutta announced that UToronto is doing the pre-conference workshop for Merlot at the end of April. A draft workshop description has been put together. At the moment they have enough help, but may be soliciting additional help if needed.

Jutta continued that there is lot of concerns re Gonzalo's position in terms of how to recognize the work of other people who have also done work on UI, and the method of making clear the scope and delineation of work being done. If you have concerns, please contact Jutta directly. Joseph encouraged Jutta to contact people on the tools team (Ben, Daphne, Mark, others) in order to help smooth the way and clarify what the intent is and the whole process.

On a lighter note, Joseph announced that 7-8 people are planning to charter a sailboat in Vancouver for 4 days prior to the conference. If you know of anyone who is interested, have them contact Joseph directly.

With no other business before the Board, the call ended at 2:06 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Miles

  • No labels