- Apache Tomcat - http://tomcat.apache.org/
- Note: Always do a fresh install of Tomcat (please note that Tomcat has a bug. Please use Tomcat 7.0.65 or Tomcat 7.0.68, when released. Addendum 30January2017 - appears to work with 7.0.75 as of this writing. Is known not to work with 7.0.72 through 7.0.74
- Note: Windows users should ensure that there are no spaces in the complete tomcat path as this causes errors with JSF tools in Sakai
GOOD: C:\opt\tomcat\, C:\sakaistuff\installs\tomcat\
BAD: C:\program files\tomcat\, C:\opt\apache tomcat 7.0.1\
- Download Tomcat 7 if you're using Sakai 10- http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi
Download Tomcat 8 if you're using Sakai 11 - https://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi
(The directions below are mostly the same for 7 or 8, but the setenv.sh is a little different)
- Extract to /opt (symlink the apache-tomcat-7.0.x directory to tomcat after extracting)
- Modify conf/server.xml for international character support
- Add URIEncoding="UTF-8" to the Connector element
- <Connector port="8080" URIEncoding="UTF-8" ...
- Set environment variable: CATALINA_HOME=/opt/tomcat
- Add $CATALINA_HOME/bin to PATH
Setup the SETENV file in the tomcat/bin directory with JAVA_OPTS (from Install Java 1.7+)
|title||Populate Database With Demo Data|
Instead of starting with an empty database you can add the flag -Dsakai.demo=true in addition to the others shown here. During your first Tomcat launch it will populate your database with test data (students, courses, etc). Once the data has been created remove this flag for subsequent Tomcat launches. Be advised that this flag will not trigger on a database with data already in it so you must make this choice during the initial setup. It should also be noted that without this flag one will not be able to create any course sites in Sakai unless Academic Term, Subject, Course, and Section data is manually added to the "cm_" tables in the database.
Mac/Linux: Create a file called setenv.sh with the following (alternately, you can put this into your .bashrc file so they're automatically executed):
export JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1028m -XX:MaxPermSize=320m -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote"
export JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1028m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote"
Windows(PC): Create a file called setenv.bat with the following:
set JAVA_OPTS=-server -Xmx1028m -XX:MaxPermSize=320m -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
set JAVA_OPTS=-server -Xmx1028m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
[OPTIONAL] Delete the default webapps from the webapps dir
rm -rf webapps/*
Configure tomcat 7/8 to use the old tomcat 5.5 classloader dirs, this is not needed for the master branch of Sakai and Sakai 11.
- Edit conf/catalina.properties
Add the following to the line that begins with "common.loader=..."
Add the following to the line that begins with "server.loader=..."
Add the following to the line that begins with "shared.loader=..."
Create the directories
mkdir -p shared/classes shared/lib common/classes common/lib server/classes server/lib
Improve startup speed
You can improve startup speed under both Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 8 significantly.
Edit the file conf/catalina.properties and add the property to the bottom
Edit the file conf/context.xml and add this JarScanFilter block to the context
<JarScanFilter defaultPluggabilityScan="false" />