At the 2011 Sakai Conference, there was substantial interest in establishing a monthly, live, synchronous, online course (or project site) demonstration by faculty at different Sakai institutions. The intent is to provide examples to interested community members and to highlight the wonderful wealth of resources in our Sakai community! This can be an exciting professional development opportunity for all of us -- and your participation is essential to our collective success.
- Goal: Host one presentation per month beginning in September 2011 - May 2012 -- and represent a variety of institution types, disciplines, and countries
- Identify a faculty member at your institution who would be willing to demonstrate some aspect of his/her course that works well, has learning impact
- Is willing to be recorded during the session
- Can do 1015-15 20 minutes of show & tell online (perhaps screen shots to reduce some of the technical glitches that will inevitably ensue)
- Will entertain 20-30 minutes of Q&A
- followed by facilitated Q&A
- Recorded & made available online for later viewing
Sample Session Announcement: UC-Berkeley
Teaching with Sakai Webinar Series
The Teaching with Sakai webinar series highlights effective teaching practices using Sakai from across the community. Each webinar in the series will begin with a 20 minute presentation followed by a facilitated discussion.
September 27, 2011 at 3pm EST (12pm PST)
Learning through reflective writing and immersion with social media
Bobby White (UC-Berkeley) is teaching a 10 week professional development seminar for faculty focused on the history and origins of new media. The primary learning goals for her class are to:
- develop a greater understanding of the cross-disciplinary foundations of new media
- be able to utilize social media in supporting students to facilitate their own learning
This webinar will focus on how Bobby is using blogs and the Sakai Open Academic Environment (OAE) to meet these goals through reflections on readings, sharing ideas, and online discussion.
Details and registration information coming soon!
The Details to Address
- What synchronous web conferencing tool will we use? Should the host institution select?
- How many people can attend synchronously?
- Where will the recordings be stored and in what format? Tags? Etc.?
- What about time zones?
List of Showcase Sponsor Institutions
Since this is just an idea, let's start a list of those who are interested in finding a willing faculty member to present. One need not have a consenting faculty member yet -- but signing up below means you will start the search process at your institution.
Discipline or Subject Area
Preferred month to present
4-yr public research
Faculty development course (Sakai OAE)
4-yr public research
Anytime is fine Howard Reisner
Medical School, Pathology
December 9 (tentative)
University of Hull, UK
Head of Department of Health Professional Studies
29 March 2012 1300-1400 UK Time + recording
Amber D. Evans-Marcu
Methodist College of Nursing
Single-purpose institution offering baccalaureate degrees in nursing
October 25, 2011
Indiana University Bloomington
November or December or later
small liberal arts college
Prefer spring - this is our first semester fully in Sakai
University of Delaware