Easily accessible information about Sakai users, their attitudes, and their usage is critical to the work of Sakai-related staff including support staff, designers, researchers, developers, testers, and system administrators. Current capabilities to gather the required data and tools to present and interpret it are limited and vary across Sakai implementations. The Sakai
Data Analysis group intends to fully describe the types of usage data needed by all stakeholders, compare current strategies for gathering and interpreting user and usage data, and specify new strategies for gathering and interpreting data. Development of these strategies may be undertaken as a Sakai project.
Focusing on the use cases allows us to see that while there are many stakeholders who need usage data, the data in many cases is the same. This site has been structured around the initial use cases shown below. My hope is that the use case focus will allow us to design/deliver meaningful and complete chunks of usage data as we progress. In addition, we can compare ways that we access particular types of data across institutions, helping us understand the complexities of global and local configurations.
Given the diversity of the Use Cases and Requirements a Sakai Warehouse seems to be a viable solution.
Each use case below has a page to house discussion and examples. The image at right is a diagram linking the use cases, the actors and their responsibilities.
Related Sakai 2.2 Requirements
- REQ-5: Site Usage statistics tool Community Ranking: 83 votes (28 critical, 31 essential, 22 desirable, 2 n/a)
- REQ-54: Log searching tool Community Ranking: 63 votes (18 critical, 12 essential, 32 desirable, 1 n/a)
- REQ-152: Server-wide usage statistics Community Ranking: 52 votes (15 critical, 21 essential, 15 desirable, 1 n/a)
- REQ-160: User activity information displayed with profile Community Ranking: 56 votes (8 critical, 11 essential, 29 desirable, 8 n/a)
- REQ-237: Documentation: Architecture document on the Sakai Event Mechanism Community Ranking: 40 votes (8 critical, 4 essential, 23 desirable, 5 n/a)
- REQ-330: Generate usage reports from within Sakai Community Ranking: 51 votes (14 critical, 18 essential, 17 desirable, 2 n/a)
- SAK-3794: SAKAI_SESSION table is unmanageable
Proposed High-Level Data Specifications
The following documents are proposals for how to access certain data, NOT YET designs for particular Sakai tools. Do these proposals cover the types of data in the above requirements?
|title||Most Viewed in Last Month|