The following items relate to past activities of the Teaching and Learning group. NOTE: If any item references "Sakai 3," that was the tentative naming for a proposed release of Sakai. That label was used in 2008-2010 and is no longer current.
Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award Committee (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) - This group is leads the process to define and execute the Teaching with Sakai Innovation Awards. The group is responsible for organizing and facilitating the judging and award process, recruiting judges, and encouraging submissions.
Teaching and Learning with OAE - As of 2012, the new administrative home of the combined T&L Learning Capabilities Design Lenses group, the Portfolio Visioning group, and the newly formed Teaching and Learning with OAE group, is the Sakai OAE server oae-community.sakaiproject.org. To participate, register for an account there and join the group. Refer to the "Meeting Information" item for further details.
Sakai Learning Capabilities Design Lenses - The design lenses have became an important touchpoint with the requirements for Sakai 3. As the Sakai 3 project moves forward, this group is working closely with the product manager and the resources dedicated to the Sakai 3 Managed Project to translate the design lenses into functional requirements that can be used in the development of Sakai 3. This effort would likely then inform a refining of the Lenses and a 2.0 release.
Teaching with Sakai Webinar Series - At the 2011 Sakai Conference, there was substantial interest in establishing a monthly, live, synchronous, online course (or project site) demonstration by faculty at different Sakai institutions. The intent is to provide examples to interested community members and to highlight the wonderful wealth of resources in our Sakai community! This can be an exciting professional development opportunity for all of us -- and your participation is essential to our collective success.Goal: Host one presentation per month beginning in September 2011 - May 2012 -- and represent a variety of institution types, disciplines, and countries. Please visit the planning page for more information. Webinars for 2012 - 2013
There are many opportunities for members of the Sakai community to get involved in the Teaching and Learning groups, and the T&L community would be very pleased to have new engagement and perspectives.
- Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award Committee (2010) This group is leads the process to define and execute the Teaching with Sakai Innovation Awards. The group is responsible for organizing and facilitating the judging and award process, recruiting judges, and encouraging submissions.
- Sakai Learning Capabilities Design Lenses - The design lenses have became an important touchpoint with the requirements for Sakai 3. As the Sakai 3 project moves forward, this group is working closely with the product manager and the resources dedicated to the Sakai 3 Managed Projectto translate the design lenses into functional requirements that can be used in the development of Sakai 3. This effort would likely then inform a refining of the Lenses and a 2.0 release.
- Design Lenses Brainstorming Page - Provides background information about the brainstorming and conference discussions that informed the project.
- Distance Learning Community -The distance learning community is focused specifically on the use of Sakai in fully online courses. The group hopes to share best practices, faculty training, and support materials related to distance learning. The group will also consider options for faculty across institutions to engage in professional development (online) together.
- Sakai Distance Learning Brainstorming Page - Provides background information about the brainstorming and conference discussions that informed the project.
- Student Engagement in the Community - Students are an important constituent of the Sakai community whose active participation in the community is not visible. This group is focused on identifying initial steps to engage students in the community in a more active and visible manner.
In support of these efforts, the T&L community is actively managing the communications both within and across the groups. Please view the following page to review and provide feedback the communications plans and priorities of the T&L community. The intent of this effort is to both increase engagement and more easily share the work of this group with those that cannot commit time to be actively involved. Please do not hesitate to provide feedback on the communications efforts. T&L Communications
The communications team is also in the process of refining the strategy for enhancement and use of the Open Ed Practices site. Input and plans on the use of the site are captured at Open Ed Practices Planning and Feedback.
Each of the initiative groups will hold regular meetings. Please see the calendar of T&L group events.
Older Teaching and Learning Initiatives
- Instructional Visioning - Initiative to produce "tool/technology agnostic" visions of the types of instructional practices Sakai should facilitate and support.
- Instructional Visioning Proposal
- UPDATE (11/12/09): We are currently documenting Learning Capabilities from a user-centric perspective in a Google Spreadsheet.
- UPDATE (01/13/10): We are Defining "Themes" and "Activity Workflows" for further development in the Virtual Working Session (see above), to extract guidance from the Learning Capabilities spreadsheet.
- Instructional Visioning Efforts (past formulations of teaching and learning requirements)
- Sakai Instructional Technology Trend Report - Initiative to produce an annual report that identifies instructional technology trends which may impact on Sakai in a 2-3 year window.
- Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award (2009) - Started in 2008, this program aims to highlight examples of educational applications of Sakai which are considered innovative or transformative in nature.
- Pre-conference Teaching and Learning Workshops - Each year we work to organize a pre-conference workshop that focused on sharing teaching and learning best practices.
- Contribute to OpenEdPractices.org - A community of practice for teaching and learning with open/community-source tools.