Child pages
  • Board Minutes 2008 June 19

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Sakai Foundation Board of Directors Conference Call

June 19, 2008

This document contains minutes from the Sakai Foundation Board of Directors conference call held on June 19, 2008. Corrections, suggestions should be sent to John Norman and Mary Miles.

These minutes capture both the discussion and formal resolutions of the board. Simply because something was discussed does not mean that it is the agreed-upon position of the board. When the board makes a formal resolution to approve an item, it will be noted as such in the minutes. If there is no such notation, readers should assume that the minutes are simply the notes of the board discussions.

Board members present: John Norman, Josh Baron, Lois Brooks, Chris Coppola, Clay Fenlason, Mara Hancock, Lance Speelmon, Jutta Treviranus, Michael Korcuska (ex-officio), Mary Miles (staff)

Board members absent: John Norman, Jutta Treviranus, Lois Brooks, Clay Fenlason, Josh Baron,

Topic: Approval of May Minutes:
The minutes from the May, 2008 meeting were approved as written.

Topic: ED Updates:
Michael Korcuska provided an update of finances as of May 31, 2008. A review of the second half of the budget year will include a review of conference expenses.

Brown University has indicated their decision not to renew. New members include the University of Florida and Valencian International University (VIU). Future prospects include: Brock University (Canada), University of Southern California, McGraw-Hill, and Wits in South Africa.

Josh Baron requested a list of those institutions that have adopted or are in the process of adopting Sakai. That information, though not currently up to date, will be shared with the board.

Conference attendance: While hoping for 300 or so attendees, the numbers are not disappointing. In the past, there has not been an early registration discount, or a late registration fee, but this is something that may be considered in the future. Two of the rooms will feature live video casts that will also be archived. Podcasts will not be done as they have not been in demand from previous conferences.

The Newcomers reception currently has about 70 people confirmed, but that number is expected to increase. A few orientation remarks will be given and track leads and others will be introduced. Board members were encouraged to attend.
Although there is a shortage in the room block, the overall decision may still prove to be financially positive due to the support received from UPMC. Michael was authorized by the board to offer a few rooms to people at Sakai expense that would otherwise be unable to attend due to financial considerations.

Action: The Board authorized Michael to offer rooms for up to 5 people rooms, for a maximum of 3 nights each. Those being offered rooms will be left to Michael's discretion.

Mary is currently investigating Boston as the site for the 2009 conference. More information will be provided as soon as it becomes available. Sakai is also looking into the possibility of smaller regional meetings on both the east and west coasts. These will be focused sessions at Virginia Tech and Berkeley. It was suggested that the Berkeley meeting be tied to Kuali Days, currently scheduled for November 18-19 in Newport Beach, California. Michael reported that he has been meeting on a monthly basis with the Executive Directors of Kuali, D-Space, JA-SIG and Fedora. A joint gathering is planned in March of next year as part of the JA-SIG meeting.

China update: Progress is moving very slowly. This may require that someone go to China to help them get started.

Japan update: Michael continues to work on trademark and other issues. The cost for registering a word mark and logo would be $10,300. He suggested that it was probably wise to do a full search to be sure it's not being used elsewhere.

Action: The Board authorized Michael to proceed with the trademark process.

QA: A final review is being conducted for the QA contract position. Seth, Megan and Michael are on the reviewing team. A decision is expected to be made in Paris regarding who will be contracted. In the meantime, Megan will continue in the position.

UX: Michael is in conversation with Nathan regarding splitting his time between Fluid and Sakai.

Manager's meetings: A brief report was given on the ongoing Manager's meetings. One of the thoughts coming out of these meetings is to run two tracks in parallel (2.6 and 3.0), much in the same way that some schools started with Sakai very early and ran off trunk. In order to keep production schools moving forward we need to keep 2.6 moving forward. In general, the board felt it was a good idea to stagger the releases and try to address some of the transformational issues in 3.0. This would reflect the reality of the current situation.

A potential proposal for future funding is been targeted at the 3.0 agenda. This should be added to the agenda for the Paris Board meeting for additional discussion.

Membership options were once again discussed. It was suggested that this also be added to the Paris agenda for final resolution. In the meantime, those points not requiring further discussion will be rolled out by Michael via the various lists

Action: The Board agreed that the membership options that are not in dispute should be rolled out. These include three-year options for schools, as well as new funding strategy for SCAs.

Board working groups: Michael suggested that several smaller working groups be formed to deal with day-to-day project related issues as well as strategic direction for the Foundation. Michael suggested a proposal to get the board started. The Board generally liked the idea of working groups but felt that perhaps additional people would be needed to work on them.

Educause 2008: There will be a community source ED panel session at Educause, as well as a community source reception as was done at the last Educause meeting. Mary will investigate the opportunity for a face-to-face board meeting at Educause to take advantage of a majority of the board being in attendance.

The agenda for next meeting (in Paris) will be built on list. A decision on the August meeting will be made in Paris.

With no further business before the board, the meeting was adjourned at 3:25 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Miles