Child pages
  • Board Minutes 2007 Feb 1

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migrated to Confluence 4.0

Sakai Foundation Board of Directors Conference Call
February 1, 2007

This document contains minutes from the conference call of the Sakai Foundation Board of Directors held on February 1, 2007. Corrections, suggestions should be sent to John Norman and Mary Miles.

These minute capture both the discussion and formal resolutions of the board. Simply because something was discussed does not mean that it is the agreed-upon position of the board. When the board makes a formal resolution to approve an item, it will be noted as such in the minutes. If there is no such notation, readers should assume that the minutes are simply the notes of the board discussions.

Board members present: John Norman, Ian Dolphin, Jutta Treviranus, Lois Brooks, Mara Hancock, Chris Coppola, Clay Fenlason, Chuck Severance (ex officio), Mary Miles (staff)

Board members absent: Joseph Hardin, Brad Wheeler, Vivie Sinou

Topic: New Partner Agreement
The Sakai Partner Agreement, circulated earlier, was amended to reflect the comments and modifications received. Based on those revisions, the document was amended to be the Sakai Partners Agreement version 2.0, with a revision date of February 1. This agreement will be sent to partners whose membership expires in the first quarter of 2007. If additional modifications are needed, they will be made at a later date. The key modification in this version is to create a one-year agreement with an automatic renewal unless the members cancel with 30 days notice.

Decision: Unanimously agreed that the agreements for the first quarter of 2007 should be sent out as soon as possible.

Topic: Board Retreat
The dates for the Board retreat were selected as mid-day on April 5 through end of day on April 6, with Berkeley serving as host. Mary will work with Christina at Berkeley to secure a location and a block of sleeping rooms.

Decision: Unanimously agreed.

Topic: Gradebook
Mara will develop a document addressing a software-development transition that needs to be addressed. She will provide some support statements in an email which describes the issues and recommendations for approaches. If more discussion needed, it will be handled at the next meeting.

Topic: UX Position
John reported that the position document has been completed, with the only remaining discussion being the procedure to fund the position. Discussion was held regarding whether to commit to this position now or to wait until funding for the position had been obtained. Some board members felt that this position was important enough to make a board commitment to fund the position regardless of any contributions from the community. Those taking this position understood that the board would cut other items if necessary to get this done. Others disagreed with that position.

Chuck will prepare a list of items that might be eliminated from the budget to provide the funding necessary. The board agreed that this is a high priority and it is reasonable to look at things that can be reduced or eliminated to fund it, as well as seeking other ways to supplement the available funding.

Jutta requested that the board immediately begin by trying to solicit funding for the position from the partners. Lois felt she was unable to support either side of the argument without a good financial picture of the foundation, including a consolidated financial statement. Chuck responded that most of the information was presented at the December meeting but fell short of the financial statement Lois was looking for. Chris suggested that if the board feels this is high in the list of priorities that this process begin in a matter of days, with funding to be obtained in some manner to fund the position. With an anticipated lead time of 4-6 weeks, delaying a decision will take longer to have an impact. The board agreed to provide Chuck with assurances that the funding would be found so that he could begin looking further into filling this position.

Chris suggested that a plan be formed for personally recruiting for both funding and for the person to fill this position. He agreed to take some responsibility for the recruiting effort. He reiterated his position as follows:
¿ Sakai is rapidly running out of time to have this person provide input for the fall release
¿ This is the community's top concern
¿ A number of members have indicated their willingness to step up and contribute more than they already have.

Chris commented that the conversation is valuable and that he would be willing to work with Chuck and/or other to define a plan that all would be happy with. He felt that in short order a workable plan could be developed that would be satisfactory to all.

Decision: A proposal will be developed and brought back to the board at the next meeting.

Topic: All Other Business
Jutta reported that the FLUID proposal was submitted on Thursday. She will share the proposal with anyone interested in seeing it.

Chuck will bring a summary of expenses for the Atlanta conference and a proposal on Sakai China to the next board meeting. He also reported that Thomson Learning has expressed an interest in becoming a commercial affiliate.

Chris reported that he is getting ready to submit ECL 2.0. They have been making slow but incremental progress on this.

With no other business before the board, the meeting was adjourned at 2:20 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Miles