|title||Sakai 2.8.0 was released on 18 April 2011|
|title||Sakai 2.8.0 release date rescheduled|
On behalf of the Release Management Workgroup and the Sakai 2 Technical Coordination Committee I am writing you to let you know that the Sakai 2.8.0 release date has been pushed back. This can be traced back to a scarcity of resources in the Sakai 2 ecosystem that resulted in slipped schedules (ie late beta and release candidate tagging), final hour testing and subsequently, outstanding blockers.
The anticipated release date is March 31st with the following milestones.
- March 8/9 Release Candidate 2
- March 22/23 Release Candidate 3 (as needed)
- March 24-30 Prep for release
- March 31 Release
To reach these milestones the following strategy is being employed:
- Blocker handling: Continue to triage the blocker list. If a ticket is not truly a blocker, downgrade it. In addition there will be regular communication with blocker assignees regarding progress on tickets.
- Tagging: Continue to cut QA tags every two weeks until blockers are eliminated. If an opportunity exists to cut a QA tag early, do it. When no blockers exist, cut an rc tag and prep for release.
- Continued testing: Encourage testing but do not allow shortfalls or delays in testing to hold up the release
1 April 2011 UPDATE:
On behalf of the Release Management team & Sakai Technical Coordination Committee I am writing you to let you know that the Sakai 2.8.0 release is now anticipated to occur in the 3rd week of April. The release of IE9 highlighted some incompatibilities with the FCKeditor that the software could not be released with. To address these issues, a patch has been written that will set IE to run in compatibility mode  and is the same approach the community took when IE8 was initially released.
The anticipated release date is April 13th with the following activities occurring:
* April 1 Release Candidate 4 created
* April 8 QA Testing through the 8th
* April 8-11 Formal vote on release readiness by Sakai 2 TCC
* April 11 Release artifact generated
* April 11-13 Release artifacts tested
* April 13 Aim to release Sakai 2.8.0 by this date
2.8 Release Activities
The 2.8 Release Activities checklist provides a list of activities to help coordinate across the projects and to encourage communication to the community about the release expectations and progress. As with any schedule, adjustments to dates may be required
The attachment file contains a second tab with a number of communication & coordination activities that need to be slotted once the schedule framework is approved.