This page acts as a gateway to reference and development information gathered on standards and technologies related to Sakaibrary.
Categories on this page:
- Citations and Querying Standards
- Context-Sensitive Linking
- Open Service Interface Definitions (OSIDs)
- Web Services
- Digital Objects
- Sakaibrary-like projects
Citations and Querying Standards
- MARCXML - Library of Congress MAchine Readable Catalogue using XML: widely used format for representing bibliographic data (although not as widely as regular MARC21).
- MODS - Library of Congress Metadata Object Description Schema: an XML format for representing MARCXML records in a human-readable way and creating new representations of bibliographic data.
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative - an open forum engaged in the development of interoperable online metadata standards that support a broad range of purposes and business models
- Metadata Crosswalks - A way to transform one metadata scheme to another.
- SRU-SRW - Library of Congress Search and Retrieve via URL or Web Services: standard search protocols for Internet search queries, utilizing CQL (Common Query Language), a standard query syntax for representing queries.
- NISO Metasearch Initiative - National Information Standards Organization initiative to develop standards to make metasearching/federated searching easier and more interoperable.
- IMS Resource List Interoperability - an IMS specification that details how structured metadata can be exchanged between systems that store and expose resources for the purpose of creating resource lists.
- OpenURL 1.0 - a NISO standard for context-sensitive linking in networked environments (i.e. the Internet).
- SFX 3.0 - an ExLibris OpenURL 1.0-compliant link-resolver software application.
- OpenURL Resolvers and our Survey - this page contains a listing of OpenURL resolver products and vendors and information regarding our OpenURL resolver survey of the library-Sakai community.
- MetaLib - an ExLibris library portal software application including features to metasearch across heterogeneous resources or link to the resources' native interface.
- MetaLib X-Server - a component of MetaLib with a public API to invoke MetaLib's metasearching services through HTTP. The X-Server is the Sakaibrary project's main tool in conducting MetaLib metasearches from within Sakai.
- SIRSI SingleSearch - a SirsiDynix library portal software application similar to MetaLib.
Open Service Interface Definitions (OSIDs)
- O.K.I. Repository OSID - the O.K.I. Repository Open Service Interface Definition covers storing and retrieving digital content, referred to as Assets, as well as information about the Assets.
- SRW Repository OSID Implementation - a Sakai implementation of the O.K.I. Repository OSID using SRW.
- What are Web Services? - our working definition and use of Web Services in the context of Sakaibrary.
- Xerxes - a system that leverages the Metalib X-Server and other APIs to create a custom search-and-link library portal. Developed by David Walker at California State University, San Marcos.
- Twin Peaks - an Indiana University Libraries Information Technology pilot user interface tool for accessing digital library resources from within the Sakai course management environment.
- California Digital Library - the California Digital Library (CDL) has two projects of interest, the CDL Common Framework and the Metasearch Infrastructure Project, that deal with challenges Sakaibrary faces.
- Scholar's Box - UC Berkeley's Interactive University Project is currently prototyping a web-based suite of tools that will enable faculty, K-12 teachers, students, and the public to create, manipulate, annotate, and save and share personal collections of digital learning and cultural material.