Child pages
  • Board Minutes 2008 Nov 20
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Sakai Foundation Board of Directors Conference Call

November 20, 2008

This document contains minutes from the Sakai Foundation Board of Directors conference call held on November 20, 2008. Corrections, suggestions should be sent to John Norman and Mary Miles.

These minutes capture both the discussion and formal resolutions of the board. Simply because something was discussed does not mean that it is the agreed-upon position of the board. When the board makes a formal resolution to approve an item, it will be noted as such in the minutes. If there is no such notation, readers should assume that the minutes are simply the notes of the board discussions.

Board members present: John Norman, Josh Baron, Lois Brooks, Chris Coppola, Mara Hancock, Lance Speelmon, Jutta Treviranus, Michael Korcuska (ex-officio)

Board members absent: Clay Fenlason, Joseph Hardin

Topic: SCA Approval
An application to become a Commercial Affiliate has been received from Unitech in Argentina.

Action: Unanimous approval. Mary will notify Unitech of their acceptance.

Topic: Budget Update
Michael Korcuska reported that finances are relatively stable but below the target reserve level, although some cost savings will be realized over the next few months. Invoices over 60-days overdue total $280,000 and will continue to be reported on a monthly basis, with a complete financial report provided every 6 months. The board asked if there was any benefit to having the treasurer (currently Lon Raley) do a quarterly review of the finances. Michael responded that part of the goal of having recruited board members is to specifically recruit someone with financial expertise who could take this on. In summary, the board suggested keeping a close eye on the budget but taking no precipitous action at this time.

Topic: Continued Resource Allocation Discussion
The board recognizes the need for an "easier, better way" to coordinate resources cross-institutionally to larger initiatives in Sakai. Discussions continue on the role the Foundation should be playing in this process and the effectiveness thus far. This should include thinking about what our community should be good at and what specific competencies are best provided by the Foundation. We recognized in the conversation that the software development lifecycle (SLDC) is fairly well understood and, that aligning our conversation about competencies to well known models will make the conversation more productive. It was also reinforced that as we think about the competencies we need, we should consider the need to continuously address at least two key aspects of our CLE: incrementally improving a current stable release, and innovating a future next generation project or release.

One core competency that's missing in our community today, and should probably be addressed by the Foundation is communication. The conversation ranged from tactical efforts to organize the wealth of community information and make it accessible, to the impact of more strategic communication on the effectiveness of our community. It was recognized that the Foundation doesn't currently have adequate staff to fully address the communication needs of our community.

Action: Michael will bring a plan to the Board to address the issue: changing the Foundation staff profile to be more effective at facilitating institutional communication. This should also include a discussion on what a potential functional council would mean to Sakai and a detailed proposal of what putting it into operation might entail.

As the time for the call neared an end, the Board agreed to meet again by conference call on December 4. Mary will be asked to update the calendar when the final date is defined.

The board also agreed to meet every two weeks for two to three meetings to see if it is working the way the board had hoped.

Topic: Board Retreat

The dates of the Board Retreat are February 9-11 at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York. All board members were urged to mark their calendars and plan to attend. Information on logistics will be sent. It was agreed that a facilitator was needed and that Michael would investigate possible candidates.

With no further business before the board, the conference call ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Miles

  • No labels