Child pages
  • Board Minutes 2008 April 15
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Sakai Foundation Board of Directors Conference Call
April 15, 2008

This document contains minutes from the Sakai Foundation Board of Directors conference call held on April 15, 2008. Corrections, suggestions should be sent to John Norman and Mary Miles.

These minutes capture both the discussion and formal resolutions of the board. Simply because something was discussed does not mean that it is the agreed-upon position of the board. When the board makes a formal resolution to approve an item, it will be noted as such in the minutes. If there is no such notation, readers should assume that the minutes are simply the notes of the board discussions.

Board members present: Josh Baron, Chris Coppola, John Norman, Clay Fenlason, Lance Speelmon, Jutta Trevarinus, Lois Brooks, Michael Korcuska (ex-officio), Mary Miles (staff)

Board members absent: Mara Hancock, Ian Dolphin, Joseph Hardin

Topic: Review of Minutes
The minutes of the March meeting were approved as written.

Topic: Finances
Michael Korcuska presented a financial overview reflecting data as of the end of the first quarter. In general, cash balances are better than expected. Revenues are higher than were expected in the original model, but Michael was not confident that a real revenue model has been achieved. This will continue to be monitored closely.

The overview reflected the fact that some of the outreach marketing activities planned have had very little spending during this period. A more accurate quality assurance overview will be presented at a future board meeting, but there are plans to hire a contractor to assist with writing test cases and automated scripts. More information will be sent when available. There were some notable negative variances in the areas of travel and expenses for the Newport Beach conference, where expenses were higher than expected.

Other topics raised during the Finance presentation:
The question was raised as to the location of the 2009 conference. Mary is currently researching sites, but it is not planned to be an international conference; rather it will alternate US and non-US based. More information on location will be presented in the near future.

In the UX arena, there are currently no dedicated resources to take Nathan Pearson's work and develop that design. The issue to be considered in to what extent Sakai can afford to see it through. Current feeling is that a significant portion can be implemented for 2.6, but that is not within the grasp of the foundation alone. Jutta noted that the Fluid Project was very anxious to be engaged in order to make sure their components meet the needs of this development so the components could be tailored to be more useful. Clay suggested that Georgia tech might also be able to help in the fall.

Topic: Japan Sakai
Hosei University and Nagoya University are interested in forming JA-Sakai. Michael was invited to speak at a recent conference when this was discussed. He explained that they need Board approval to use the Sakai name in their organization. Given the schools involved, this seems a logical path and they have provided a proposed charter for the group. Michael will review the charter with the attorneys. In the meantime, he will advise the Universities that the Board believes this is a good idea but the working of the actual document will need to be worked out. They will be asked to wait for one board cycle - until the May Board meeting - for a more definitive decision. The Board would also prefer J-Sakai instead of JA-Sakai to avoid confusion with JA-SIG, if they would be comfortable with that.

During the next few weeks, the board was asked to read and comment directly to Michael on the proposed charter. Michael will then ask Barnaby for his assistance in reviewing the documents. Findings will be brought back to the next meeting. Josh suggested that it might be worthwhile to have someone come to the Paris conference and speak to the Board on how to handle these situations in the future.

Action: Michael was asked to have Barnaby look at the 3 documents (Sakai Quebec, Sakai China and JA-Sakai) side-by-side and use those as prompts as to which items need to be in agreement from the Board. This could result in guidelines to be used in future instances.

Topic: Sakai China
Michael presented his scenario for a cost model. He will continue discussions with that group until a final agreement has been reached.

Topic: Conference Update
At the time of this call, 155 proposals have been received, but registration remains low. It is expected that registration will pick up after acceptance notifications have been sent out.

Diana Laurillard has agreed to be the keynote speaker on Wednesday with James Dalziel and possible Wendy McKay as featured speakers. Opening remarks on Tuesday will be made by a combination of people to provide a Sakai community progress update and kick off the conference.

Josh Baron that 13 applications have been received for the Teaching and Learning award. The winners will be announced prior to the Paris conference so that they can be invited to attend to receive their award.

Topic: New Business
John Norman suggested that the Board calendar be moved back one week so that board meetings would be held the third week of each month. This will allow for additional time to prepare the financials.

Action: The Board unanimously approved this action. The next board meeting will be Thursday, May 15.

With no further business before the board, the call ended at 3:33 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Miles

  • No labels