Child pages
  • Board Minutes 2007 Sept 12
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Sakai Foundation Board of Directors Conference Call
September 12, 2007

This document contains minutes from the conference call of the Sakai Foundation Board of Directors held on September 12, 2007. Corrections, suggestions should be sent to John Norman and Mary Miles.

These minutes capture both the discussion and formal resolutions of the board. Simply because something was discussed does not mean that it is the agreed-upon position of the board. When the board makes a formal resolution to approve an item, it will be noted as such in the minutes. If there is no such notation, readers should assume that the minutes are simply the notes of the board discussions.

Board members present: John Norman, Chris Coppola, Brad Wheeler, Clay Fenlason, Ian Dolphin, Mara Hancock, Vivie Sinou, Michael Korcuska (ex-officio), Mary Miles (staff)

Board members absent: Joseph Hardin, Lois Brooks, Jutta Treviranus

Topic: Review of Previous Minutes:
The minutes of June, 2007 were review and approved.

Topic: Financial Summary:
Michael Korcuska provided a brief summary of current finances. A full Sakai budget presentation will be made at the October meeting after a more thorough review of materials. The complexity of UM financial accounting system and inconsistent coding over a period of time makes it difficult to do a budget analysis of current information. This presentation reports finances as of August 31 in terms of cash balances and expected cash flow of the Foundation.
Total cash at end of August is approximately $368,000, across two accounts: Sakai checking account ($535,000) and UM internal Sakai account which has a negative balance of $167,000 which the Foundation must fill. The bulk of the negative balance is final Amsterdam costs and Foundation staff charge back. Revenue is now coming directly into the Foundation account and an effort is being made to get all expenses paid by the Foundation account rather than the UM account. A memorandum of understanding will be put into place with UM for staff salaries, etc. There's no cash sitting in the UM account to be transferred to the Foundation.
The revenue represented is not seasonal as months are charted as 60-days past invoice date. Delinquencies include 28 members and most of the commercial affiliates. Assuming September-December expenses of about $100K per month, a much better analysis can be produced in October. Expected revenue continues at about $70K per month, leaving a gap of $120K. This analysis does not take into account the Newport Beach conference.

Topic: Delinquent Accounts
Accounts that are currently delinquent, they need to be pursued in a variety of ways, including a call to their accounting department. Michael will initiate contact with the delinquent members, beginning with the commercial affiliates, and following up as Educause approaches. It may be useful to try and get some of the member reps together at Educause to begin a dialogue with them. One question raised was: If a member chooses not to participate, but still attends conferences, should we bill them for conference attendance?

Michael and Mary will make one more round of attempts to contact the delinquent members. If they are unresponsive, the Board members will be asked to get involved.
Action: The Delinquent account procedure suggested by Michael was accepted and approved by the board.

Topic: Licensing paper
The licensing paper submitted by Chris Coppola was reviewed and discussed. There was general agreement that the policy needs to be enforced. Chris had suggested an IP Officer position, but not as a paid post. Currently, Chris, Brad, and Barnaby are reviewing these issues.
Action: Board approved recommendations 1, 2, and 3. Michael will work with Chris and come back with more specific recommendation detail regarding recommendation 4. This will be brought back for discussion at Educause Board meeting. Brad, Chris and Michael will work on this effort.
Action: Board agreed that a code review effort should be included in the budget.

Topic: Sakai Fellows Program
The Board agreed that this program is valuable but it needs to fit into the budget. Currently, there is not enough clarity as to why the program exists.
Action: This item was tabled until the full budget conversation in October.

Topic: Home Page project
This project was reviewed and discussed. Several board members favored this approach, but a few felt they needed more time to digest the concept. The board is generally looking for a way to get a bigger injection of expertise from the outside, to which the Foundation can add expertise or revenue as needed. This would be a good opportunity to expose Sakai to some global state-of-the-art external thinking. This seems to be a recurring area in need of attention. Several board members felt that scalability and being "rock solid" are at the forefront of areas of concern, especially for those schools that have made the decision to go forward. Some board members felt this is a resource allocation issue that a partner institution might take on with the blessing of the foundation.

Action: The proposal was approved by the board. Additional funding will be solicited if needed, after having targeted conversations with interested parties for more clarity. Michael was charged with putting this into action.

Topic: Board election schedule
Carl Jacobsen will run this with same procedure used in previous years. Mary will send an announcement that elections will open sometime in October.
Action: The Board thanks Carl Jacobsen for his continued support of this effort.

Topic: Future Board Meeting Schedule
Some discussion was held regarding the Board meeting schedule at the Newport Beach conference. Mary will poll the board for best day for this meeting and announce to the board.

With no further business before the board, the meeting was adjourned at 3:13 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Miles

  • No labels