Table of Contents
Comparison to 2.4 Configuration
Citations configuration in Sakai 2.5 and Citations Helper post-2.4 is the same and is largely compatible with the older 2.4.x release. Common values in sakai.properties and the XML configuration files continue to have the same meanings - you can use your existing 2.4 XML files with 2.5.
Given that, much of the Citations Helper 2.4 configuration documentation on the Sakaibrary wiki is still valid.
- In Sakai 2.5, the Citations functionality is enabled by default. Citations can be "turned off" using the XML or sakai.properties mechanisms shown below.
- The XML configuration files are stored in the Resources area of a dedicated "Citations Admin" site. Previously these were maintained in the file system.
- Additional configuration elements can be controlled using the XML configuration files.
XML configuration files for 2.5
Handling the XML configuration files as standard Sakai resources has several benefits:
- You can update your Citations configuration on-the-fly, without restarting Tomcat. If you're running a cluster, the updated configuration is available cluster-wide.
- An administrator can delegate responsibility for maintaining the Citations configuration.
- In this new scheme, configuration content is cached, and the cache is updated only when new configuration files become available.
Setting up the new administration site
In sakai.properties you'll specify a "citations administration" site ID and a folder to house your configuration files:
You also specify one or two configuration files:
This example reflects the default, out-of-the-box names for these files. The categories.xml file isn't required if you don't use the "library search" feature.
At startup time, the administration site will be created, if it doesn't already exist. The admin site will have the title "Citations Admin".
To initially set up the Citations Helper:
- Login as admin
- Go to the "Citations Admin" site
- Create a folder to hold your configuration files ("config" in our case)
- Go to "config" and upload your "config.xml" and "categories.xml" files.
- For more info on "config.xml", see below.
- For more info on "categories.xml", see Sakaibrary's Search Categories & Databases XML page.
New XML configuration elements
Adding these to your config.xml file is optional. As in Sakai 2.4.x, these can all be controlled using property values in sakai.properties. If you do provide these values in config.xml, the XML values take precedence.
Template sakai.properties and config.xml files are shown below:
Sample sakai.properties definitions (minimal, more could be added)
Sample config.xml file
The following file illustrates all of the configuration elements for the post-24 and 2.5 releases.