Draft candidate from SakaiCamp 2018
- UPgrade JSF (big Samigo implications)
- Prepare Lessons to be more agile
Set up an Apereo Working Group to think about the future of digital learning technology
- Contributions from Dayton, UVa, and Western
- Instructor controlled "open" vs "closed" access not just per site, but more granularly, per tool
- Continue modularizing, reduce "sakai" toolset in favor of LTI tools
- Re-architect to deploy in the cloud, auto-scale in the cloud
- Release schedule change?
- Resources - updated interface, doc/image preview, persistent links (won't break when moved to different folder)
- Google Docs Integration - Check out Scriba - Google Docs
- Google Groups Integration
Turnitin LTI from Western Ontario (has been running in prod for 1 year).
- Drag and Drop on All Upoad tools
- Drag and Drop for all list of things (reordering)
- Box / S3 / Azure ....
- thing on the right side of the editor (Canvas picker aka Entity Linker)
- configuration on the fly within Sakai (Earle) - new tool. (will allow tool descriptions to be edited)
- surface a different selection of tools based on a site properties (NYU)
- add tool config to DB
- better description of tools (in Edit Tools)
- merge edit tools and page order & merge groups and add participants (Western)
- disentangle site description from home page text (Western)
- remove the word sakai from UI (Western and others?)
- site stats admin summarising tool usage over whole system (Matt Clare)
- improved reading lists (see below)
- put more text into Elastic Search (Earle), event data in ES
- search box in top bar (or floating search bar)
- drive distribute cache model home by removing clustered event model (no more local caches)
- improve search so it's easy to search within one tool
- improve what happens when you click on the results of a search
Out of Scope
|Summary||JIRA / GitHub||Notes and next steps|
|Tool Responsiveness (in terms of responsive ui)|
|Consistent date / time widget across all tools|
Lessonbuilder UI refinements / interactions with other tools
|Audio and Video media player embedded within News and Podcasts tool||https://github.com/steveswinsburg/simple-rss-portlet/issues/8|
|Admin UI for properties management||- SAK-22313Getting issue details... STATUS|
|Search and replace of links to files stored in Resources in the current site when a site is duplicated||TBC||Go through all tools (except SAMIGO but including Mneme) when duplicating a site - regular and short URLs are edited to point at the corresponding Resource in the new site as site duplication is taking place. Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer. (Oxford doesnt use SAMIGO.)|
|ban use of the word "Sakai" in UI|
|Resources (and other tools) as IMS Content Item Tool Provider|
|new turnitin LTI (content review) integration||Oxford?|
|Internet2 grouper integration|
|Resources document preview||NYU|
|Randomize question/distractors in questions from Samigo quiz parts interface||- SAM-2575Getting issue details... STATUS||Markup text is a great feature of Tests & Quizzes, but instructors are very often left randomizing the questions afterwards - making that one feature the cause for many many clicks, it what was otherwise a simple process (dependent on JSF upgrade)|
- IMS Sensor API (Caliper Framework) - IMS Spec not done
- IMS CC 1.3 (actually in 10.1)
- IMS LTI Advantage
Proposed Deprecations/Removals 19
- Remove all "standalone" code in Samigo - (dependent on JSF upgrade)
- Remove support for HSQLDB 1.8.
SAK-28053Getting issue details...
Some tools currently aren't working with this old version and nightly is still running it, new nightly will be just Oracle and MySQL. It's possible H2 or HSQLDB 2 could be used in it's place
SAK-23674Getting issue details...
but old .sql scripts (mostly in kernel) wouldn't be useful.
- Leave unit tests for now, ideally upgrade these.
Proposed Deprecations/Removals 19
- Gradebook Classic removal
- rWiki ?
- JSF upgrade
- Consistent gradebook linking between tools
- Portfolio: Karuta services
- Tomcat standard deployment - classes
- Google calendar integration (UMich) - available as a Contrib tool.
- Forums: tool simplification - NYU has interest but not a priority at the moment.
- Integration: Google Drive
- rWiki: Perl conversion script to replacement wiki - This is intended as conversion scripts to move content, but we do not have a new wiki defined yet.
- Events: refine event tracking for enhanced analytics. Nobody assigned yet.
- Give Students access to their own activity in Statistics
- Add support for PostgreSQL? MySQL and Oracle both owned by the same company. (Lots of great, promising MySQL forks though) .
- Connect to cloud file storage like Google Drive, Dropbox, S3 from Resources
"Search (this site)" box at top of portal so it shows on every page
- Improve groups management to allow people to paste in group memberships
- Exploit Entity Broker interfaces by writing plugins for CK Editor, eg, resource listing widget, embed poll in iframe widget.
- (esp. term dates)
- ( - SAK-28046Getting issue details... STATUS ) URL as a student submission type to Assignments - ie. Submit a domain of somene's own as the assignment artifact http://something.com or a journal/blog post http://mfeldstein.com/villanova-distance-learning-task-force-attribution/
- Add calculated itemized marking rubric to Assignments' Supplement Items
- Option for watermarks in Samigo for forensics on sharing screenshot'ed questions. If resources available, sure.
- D3 http://d3js.org/ into Forums tool instead of SNAPP - Changed from SNAPP since Java Applets are no longer a good idea.
- UI for how many of which tools are deployed. Based on the queries often used for Sakai global tool surveys, but could inform app administrators, teaching centres etc. (not just DB).
- Promote reuse. More public faces. Easy import/export of all content in microformats. Opportunity to add a OSI or CC licence to content as created