An initial open discussion regarding Sakai 11 priorities was held at the Phoenix Apero Camp, 29 January 2014. A straw man list of proposed improvements and changes surfaced during the discussion is outlined below. Contributors are encouraged to add/edit items to the list. However, no item below should be considered a Sakai 11 deliverable until firm development commitments are secured.
|Summary||JIRA / GitHub||Notes and next steps|
|Dashboard / Mobile Dashboard||- SAK-27929Getting issue details... STATUS|
In trunk but needs house-keeping. UMich might be able to help in December/January but if someone else could pick this up? Maybe we need documentation on setup? (from Sakai core team notes 10/23/14 - Neal)
Dashboard Contrib tool - Home
|Frameless Portal / Morpheus||- SAK-25773Getting issue details... STATUS - SAK-27774Getting issue details... STATUS|
Morpheus is merged into trunk and is still in progress.
An (older) version of Morpheus is on display on a Marist server.
|Tool Responsiveness (in terms of responsive ui)||Each Sakai tool needs to be Responsive. Is there a master JIRA for this need? - SAK-27774Getting issue details... STATUS|
|Samigo "Hotspot" question type||- SAM-1263Getting issue details... STATUS||Questions exist about QTI import/export and duplicate site support. (from Sakai core team notes 10/23/14 - Neal). Update duplicate site has been tested but still issues with QTI remain. 10/28/14 - Neal.|
|Consistent date / time widget across all tools|
As of 2014/11/05 some dates in gradebook, chat and syllabus still need updating.
RSF tools should be updated to use the RSF date picker. (lower priority)
|Gradebook Enhancement Project||- SAK-28181Getting issue details... STATUS||New gradebook UI developed by NYU. Ground up design. Speed grading, accessiblity and usability is the focus.|
Lessonbuilder UI refinements / interactions with other tools
Related to this, the Lessons Enhancement Project overseen by Josh Baron on behalf of Sakai T&L produced a new design, which was the basis for the new Lessons UI. In addition, changes came from the developer and ongoing tests from Sakai T&L. The result is a significant redesign of the UI, with new capabilities such as multicolumn formats.
|Audio and Video media player embedded within News and Podcasts tool||https://github.com/steveswinsburg/simple-rss-portlet/issues/8||Still possible for Sakai 11 per email discussion Neal C. and Steve S. 11/3/2014 .|
|Mocks cleanup||- KNL-1124Getting issue details... STATUS||Moving most of the mocks into the Kernel , sub-project of Kernel. Clean up some stuff from Search. Modify KNL api doesn't. Infrastructure build related. For unit testing. Not necessarily going to hold up 11.|
|Admin UI for message bundle management||- SAK-28952Getting issue details... STATUS|
Still on target for Sakai 11 per Sakai core team meeting 10/23/2014.
In contrib at https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/rsmart/messagebundle per - SAK-18984Getting issue details... STATUS
|Admin UI for properties management||- SAK-22313Getting issue details... STATUS||Still on target for Sakai 11 per Sakai core team meeting 10/23/2014.|
|MathJax||- SAK-22384Getting issue details... STATUS|
Check with Matt Clare (also Matt B.) from Brock, from Sakai core team notes 10/23/14.
Disabled by default but the functionality is in 11, still a few open issues.
|Java 7||- SAK-28016Getting issue details... STATUS||Default and minimum|
|Java 8 support||- SAK-25771Getting issue details... STATUS||Semi-supported, plan for full support. Currently known issues with reflectutils in entitybroker, signup and possibly other tools. - SAK-26078Getting issue details... STATUS|
Common Cartridge available outside of Lessons tool
|- SAK-28031Getting issue details... STATUS||Except for unusual cartridges, it will still create lessons, since the CC spec defines a presentation that is best represented that way.|
|Public access to sites||- SAK-28084Getting issue details... STATUS||Oxford has a lot of patches to grant access to site per Sakai core team notes 10/23/14|
|OAuth||- SAK-22278Getting issue details... STATUS||Need to check with Oauth incubation.|
|CK Editor Auto Save||- SAK-22495Getting issue details... STATUS||Previously a wish list item. Rutgers is using CK Editor auto save and is sharing information on their configuration.|
|Role-based access to sites||- SAK-29401Getting issue details... STATUS||Implement a new Sakai interface "Role Provider" which can be used to supply new roles (in addition to the default .anon & .auth) that can be used to protect a site.|
|Role-based access to Resources||- SAK-29402Getting issue details... STATUS||Allow Role Provider to protect Resources (depends on - SAK-29401Getting issue details... STATUS )|
|Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-23995Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29435Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29434Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29394Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29393Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29389Getting issue details... STATUS||use a property to hide the new styles. they should be hidden by default. Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29271Getting issue details... STATUS||a few changes need to be made by Oxford before committing. Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29411Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29237Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-22665Getting issue details... STATUS||a little more work needed by Oxford. will be complete by March 2016|
|- SAK-29444Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|- SAK-29436Getting issue details... STATUS||Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.|
|Force site update after adding tool|
|Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer|
|Search and replace of links to files stored in Resources in the current site when a site is duplicated||TBC||Go through all tools (except SAMIGO but including Mneme) when duplicating a site - regular and short URLs are edited to point at the corresponding Resource in the new site as site duplication is taking place. Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer. (Oxford doesnt use SAMIGO.)|
|new implementation of "Browse server" - ie, the CK Edit "widget" to Browse Resources, Forums etc||TBC||Almost compete (finished by March 2016)|
|ck editor widgets for: vimeo, youtube, creative commons & twitter||- SAK-29705Getting issue details... STATUS||Will not be pursued.|
|Harmonising terminology||Harmonising and Improving Terminology|
|Public Announcement System||- SAK-29422Getting issue details... STATUS|
|New Resource Browser||- SAK-29884Getting issue details... STATUS||new resource browser|
|new reading list UI||- SAK-29974Getting issue details... STATUS||new reading list UI|
- LTI 2.0+ grading and roster services - IMS spec not yet done
- LTI 2.0+ service registry for internal services
- LTI 2.1 - Likely will make Sakai 11
- IMS Sensor API (Caliper Framework) - IMS Spec not done
- IMS CC 1.3 (actually in 10.1)
- OSP / Warehouse / Metaobj - Deleted for 11
- PDA Portal - Deleted for 11
- Remove all "standalone" code Gradebook - Done for 11
- Remove all "standalone" code in Samigo - Not yet done
- Remove axis web services - Done for 11
- Remove XSLT portal SAK-29179 - Done for 11
- Remove support for HSQLDB 1.8.
SAK-28053Getting issue details...
Some tools currently aren't working with this old version and nightly is still running it, new nightly will be just Oracle and MySQL. It's possible H2 or HSQLDB 2 could be used in it's place
SAK-23674Getting issue details...
but old .sql scripts (mostly in kernel) wouldn't be useful.
- Leave unit tests for now, ideally upgrade these.
- rWiki (stealth); uncertain status. General consensus is to keep rWiki alive through Sakai 11 but this may take some work.
- Based on Apereo Wiki BOF there will be an investigation of possible integration of xWiki with Sakai.
- Transition from SVN to Git; host repos at Github (Summer 2014); single sakai "core" repo;
- Contrib projects encouraged to migrate but not a hard requirement
Project Keitai Phase 2
- LTI resource picker button for CkEditor (csev)
- Gradebook rubrics
- Consistent gradebook linking between tools
- Grading: new front-end (NYU) - Done for 11
- Portfolio: Karuta services
- Tomcat standard deployment - no volunteer currently per Sakai core team 10/30/2014.
- Google calendar integration (UMich) - available as a Contrib tool.
Forums: tool simplification - NYU has interest but not a priority at the moment. Integration: Google Groups and Drive - affects resources and Settings > Manage Groups (NYU)(aiming for Sakai 12)
rWiki: Perl conversion script to replacement wiki- This is intended as conversion scripts to move content, but we do not have a new wiki defined yet.
- Events: refine event tracking for enhanced analytics. Nobody assigned yet.
- Embed forum topics across Sakai - Does this mean that entity picker allows you to go directly to the Forum? Do we have this already in Sakai 10 (needs to investigate).
- Students have access to their own activity in Statistics - nobody expressing much interest on Sakai core team call 10/30/2014.
- Add support for PostgreSQL? MySQL and Oracle both owned by the same company. (Lots of great, promising MySQL forks though) . Seems very unlikely. MariaDB seen as risk mitigation.
- Select multiple files / folders and download to desktop as a.zip (
SAK-25438Getting issue details...
- Connect to cloud file storage like Google Drive, Dropbox, S3 from Resources
- Thumbnail view of Resources that are Images - currently not planned for 11 - Steve Swinsburg 11/3/2014 .
"Search (this site)" box at top of portal so it shows on every page
- Improve groups management to allow people to paste in group memberships
- (esp. term dates)
- ( - SAK-28046Getting issue details... STATUS ) URL as a student submission type to Assignments - ie. Submit a domain of somene's own as the assignment artifact http://something.com or a journal/blog post http://mfeldstein.com/villanova-distance-learning-task-force-attribution/
- Add calculated itemized marking rubric to Assignments' Supplement Items
- s, ie, don't display poster's name
- allow 'my active site' list to be reordered using drag and drop OR make most accessed sites appear at the top, ie, rank the list. Already exists? (per Sakai core team meeting 10/30/2014).
- Option for watermarks in Samigo for forensics on sharing screenshot'ed questions. If resources available, sure. However not seeming to be a priority based on Sakai core team meeting 10/30/2014.
- D3 http://d3js.org/ into Forums tool instead of SNAPP - Changed from SNAPP since Java Applets are no longer a good idea. From Sakai core team notes 10/23/14.
Done in Sakai-10
- Replace axis soap services with cxf (in 10)
- Resources drag-and-drop (in 10)
- Caching: replace ehcache with jcache to allow for other cache impls other than ehcache
- Limited or Full Session Replication (in 10)
Orphaned (needs someone to take it on, otherwise will not be in 11)
- URLs for every page