Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

An initial open discussion regarding Sakai 11 priorities was held at the Phoenix Apero Camp, 29 January 2014.  A straw man list of proposed improvements and changes surfaced during the discussion is outlined below.  Contributors are encouraged to add/edit items to the list.  However, no item below should be considered a Sakai 11 deliverable until firm development commitments are secured.

See:  SAK-29008 - Getting issue details... STATUS

New/Enhanced Capabilities

SummaryJIRA / GitHubNotes and next steps
Dashboard / Mobile Dashboard SAK-27929 - Getting issue details... STATUS

In trunk but needs house-keeping. UMich might be able to help in December/January but if someone else could pick this up? Maybe we need documentation on setup? (from Sakai core team notes 10/23/14 - Neal)

Dashboard Contrib tool - Home

Frameless Portal / Morpheus SAK-25773 - Getting issue details... STATUS SAK-27774 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Morpheus is merged into trunk and is still in progress.

An (older) version of Morpheus is on display on a Marist server.

Tool Responsiveness  (in terms of responsive ui) Each Sakai tool needs to be Responsive. Is there a master JIRA for this need? SAK-27774 - Getting issue details... STATUS
Samigo "Hotspot" question type SAM-1263 - Getting issue details... STATUS Questions exist about QTI import/export and duplicate site support. (from Sakai core team notes 10/23/14 - Neal). Update duplicate site has been tested but still issues with QTI remain. 10/28/14 - Neal.
Consistent date / time widget across all tools

SAK-28014 - Getting issue details... STATUS

As of 2014/11/05 some dates in gradebook, chat and syllabus still need updating.

RSF tools should be updated to use the RSF date picker. (lower priority)

Gradebook Enhancement Project SAK-28181 - Getting issue details... STATUS New gradebook UI developed by NYU. Ground up design. Speed grading, accessiblity and usability is the focus.

Lessonbuilder UI refinements / interactions with other tools

 

Related to this, the  Lessons Enhancement Project overseen by Josh Baron on behalf of Sakai T&L produced a new design, which was the basis for the new Lessons UI. In addition, changes came from the developer and ongoing tests from Sakai T&L.  The result is a significant redesign of the UI, with new capabilities such as multicolumn formats.

Audio and Video media player embedded within News and Podcasts tool https://github.com/steveswinsburg/simple-rss-portlet/issues/8Still possible for Sakai 11 per email discussion Neal C. and Steve S. 11/3/2014 .
Mocks cleanup KNL-1124 - Getting issue details... STATUS Moving most of the mocks into the Kernel , sub-project of Kernel. Clean up some stuff from Search. Modify KNL api doesn't.  Infrastructure build related. For unit testing. Not necessarily going to hold up 11.
Admin UI for message bundle management SAK-28952 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Still on target for Sakai 11 per Sakai core team meeting 10/23/2014.

In contrib at https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/rsmart/messagebundle  per SAK-18984 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Admin UI for properties management SAK-22313 - Getting issue details... STATUS Still on target for Sakai 11 per Sakai core team meeting 10/23/2014.
MathJax SAK-22384 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Check with Matt Clare (also Matt B.) from Brock, from Sakai core team notes 10/23/14.

Disabled by default but the functionality is in 11, still a few open issues.

Java 7 SAK-28016 - Getting issue details... STATUS Default and minimum
Java 8 support SAK-25771 - Getting issue details... STATUS Semi-supported, plan for full support. Currently known issues with reflectutils in entitybroker, signup and possibly other tools. SAK-26078 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Common Cartridge available outside of Lessons tool

SAK-28031 - Getting issue details... STATUS Except for unusual cartridges, it will still create lessons, since the CC spec defines a presentation that is best represented that way.
Public access to sites  SAK-28084 - Getting issue details... STATUS Oxford has a lot of patches to grant access to site per Sakai core team notes 10/23/14
OAuth SAK-22278 - Getting issue details... STATUS Need to check with Oauth incubation.
CK Editor Auto Save SAK-22495 - Getting issue details... STATUS Previously a wish list item. Rutgers is using CK Editor auto save and is sharing information on their configuration.
Role-based access to sites SAK-29401 - Getting issue details... STATUS Implement a new Sakai interface "Role Provider" which can be used to supply new roles (in addition to the default .anon & .auth) that can be used to protect a site.
Role-based access to Resources SAK-29402 - Getting issue details... STATUS Allow Role Provider to protect Resources (depends on SAK-29401 - Getting issue details... STATUS )
My Workspace / Dashboard calendar Private URL should have a better name

SAK-29447 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
LTI  add username as custom launch data SAK-23995 - Getting issue details... STATUS Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
Make launch text on LTI tool more user friendly

SAK-29445 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
  'access servlet' displays hidden files SAK-29435 - Getting issue details... STATUS Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
Improve UI of 'access servlet' view of resources SAK-29434 - Getting issue details... STATUS Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
Add text to webdav page about setting copyright of any uploaded files. SAK-29394 - Getting issue details... STATUS   Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
edit details page for file in resources should use Display Name instead of Name SAK-29393 - Getting issue details... STATUS   Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
  improve choice of styles facility for HTML page SAK-29389 - Getting issue details... STATUS use a property to hide the new styles. they should be hidden by default. Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
Suggestion / Feedback tool SAK-29271 - Getting issue details... STATUS   a few changes need to be made by Oxford before committing. Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
  Improve site browser UI SAK-29411 - Getting issue details... STATUS Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
  Make Site Page Link (in resources) shouldn't include the hostname in URL SAK-29237 - Getting issue details... STATUS Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
  When copying reading list between sites one should duplicate the reading list. SAK-22665 - Getting issue details... STATUS a little more work needed by Oxford. will be complete by March 2016
allow IMS Basic LTI to work with a non-logged in user SAK-29444 - Getting issue details... STATUS   Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
Access servlet fails to render the display name of Weblink resource if the owner no longer has an account
SAK-29436 - Getting issue details... STATUS Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer.
Force site update after adding tool

SAK-29452 - Getting issue details... STATUS

 

Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer
Search and replace of links to files stored in Resources in the current site when a site is duplicatedTBCGo through all tools (except SAMIGO but including Mneme) when duplicating a site - regular and short URLs are edited to point at the corresponding Resource in the new site as site duplication is taking place. Code being committed on behalf of Oxford by Adrian Fish or Miguel Carro Pellicer. (Oxford doesnt use SAMIGO.)
new implementation of "Browse server" - ie, the CK Edit  "widget" to Browse Resources, Forums etcTBCAlmost compete (finished by March 2016)
ck editor widgets for: vimeo, youtube, creative commons & twitter SAK-29705 - Getting issue details... STATUS Will not be pursued.
Cookie warning pop up

SAK-29457 - Getting issue details... STATUS

Warning that Sakai uses cookies, disappears after first login.
Harmonising terminology Harmonising and Improving Terminology
Public Announcement System SAK-29422 - Getting issue details... STATUS  
New Resource Browser SAK-29884 - Getting issue details... STATUS     new resource browser
new reading list UI SAK-29974 - Getting issue details... STATUS new reading list UI

Specifications Compliance

  • LTI 2.0+ grading and roster services - IMS spec not yet done
  • LTI 2.0+ service registry for internal services
  • LTI 2.1 - Likely will make Sakai 11
  • IMS Sensor API (Caliper Framework) - IMS Spec not done
  • IMS CC 1.3 (actually in 10.1)

Proposed Deprecations/Removals

  • OSP / Warehouse / Metaobj - Deleted for 11
  • PDA Portal - Deleted for 11
  • Remove all "standalone" code Gradebook - Done for 11
  • Remove all "standalone" code in Samigo - Not yet done
  • Remove axis web services - Done for 11
  • Remove XSLT portal SAK-29179 - Done for 11
  • Remove support for HSQLDB 1.8. SAK-28053 - Getting issue details... STATUS  Some tools currently aren't working with this old version and nightly is still running it, new nightly will be just Oracle and MySQL. It's possible H2 or HSQLDB 2 could be used in it's place SAK-23674 - Getting issue details... STATUS but old .sql scripts (mostly in kernel) wouldn't be useful. 
    • Leave unit tests for now, ideally upgrade these.

Uncertain status

  • rWiki (stealth); uncertain status. General consensus is to keep rWiki alive through Sakai 11 but this may take some work.
    • Based on Apereo Wiki BOF there will be an investigation of possible integration of xWiki with Sakai.


Infrastructure Changes

  • Transition from SVN to Git; host repos at Github (Summer 2014); single sakai "core" repo;
  •  Contrib projects encouraged to migrate but not a hard requirement

Stretch goals

  • Project Keitai Phase 2
  • LTI resource picker button for CkEditor (csev)
  • Gradebook rubrics
  • Consistent gradebook linking between tools
  • Grading: new front-end (NYU) - Done for 11
  • Portfolio: Karuta services
  • Tomcat standard deployment - no volunteer currently per Sakai core team 10/30/2014. 
  • Google calendar integration (UMich) - available as a Contrib tool.
  • Forums: tool simplification - NYU has interest but not a priority at the moment. 
  • Integration: Google Groups and Drive - affects resources and Settings > Manage Groups (NYU) (aiming for Sakai 12)
  •   rWiki: Perl conversion script to replacement wiki - This is intended as conversion scripts to move content, but we do not have a new wiki defined yet. 
  • Events: refine event tracking for enhanced analytics. Nobody assigned yet.
  • Embed forum topics across Sakai - Does this mean that entity picker allows you to go directly to the Forum? Do we have this already in Sakai 10 (needs to investigate).
  • Students have access to their own activity in Statistics - nobody expressing much interest on Sakai core team call 10/30/2014. 
  • Add support for PostgreSQL? MySQL and Oracle both owned by the same company. (Lots of great, promising MySQL forks though)  . Seems very unlikely. MariaDB seen as risk mitigation.

  Wish List

  • Select multiple files / folders and download to desktop as a.zip ( SAK-25438 - Getting issue details... STATUS )
  •   Connect to cloud file storage like Google Drive, Dropbox, S3 from Resources   
  • Thumbnail view of Resources that are Images - currently not planned for 11 - Steve Swinsburg 11/3/2014 .
  • "Search (this site)" box at top of portal so it shows on every page  

  • Improve groups management to allow people to paste in group memberships
  •   Exploit Entity Broker interfaces by writing plugins for CK Editor, eg, resource listing widget, embed poll in iframe widget. Might be worth revisiting per Sakai core team meeting 10/30/2014.  start from another open source picker project and add entities.
  •   Filter out duplicate events in the collated view of a user's calendars in My Workspace (esp. term dates)
  • ( SAK-28046 - Getting issue details... STATUS ) URL as a student submission type to Assignments - ie. Submit a domain of somene's own as the assignment artifact http://something.com or a journal/blog post http://mfeldstein.com/villanova-distance-learning-task-force-attribution/
  • Add calculated itemized marking rubric to Assignments' Supplement Items
  • allow assignments to be set with no close and accept until date
  • allow anonymous posting to forums, ie, don't display poster's name
  • allow 'my active site' list to be reordered using drag and drop OR make most accessed sites appear at the top, ie, rank the list. Already exists? (per Sakai core team meeting 10/30/2014). 
  • help with printing iframe - place printer icon at top of iframe. Still may be an issue after iFrame removal. Printer specific CSS. investigation needed. Could be a useful feature for Sakai 11. 
  • Option for watermarks in Samigo for forensics on sharing screenshot'ed questions. If resources available, sure. However not seeming to be a priority based on Sakai core team meeting 10/30/2014. 
  • D3 http://d3js.org/ into Forums tool instead of SNAPP - Changed from SNAPP since Java Applets are no longer a good idea.  From Sakai core team notes 10/23/14.

Done in Sakai-10

  • Replace axis soap services with cxf (in 10)
  • Resources drag-and-drop (in 10)
  • Caching: replace ehcache with jcache to allow for other cache impls other than ehcache
  • Limited or Full Session Replication (in 10)
  • xAPI

Orphaned (needs someone to take it on, otherwise will not be in 11)  

  • URLs for every page



  • No labels

7 Comments

  1. I would very much vote against removing rWiki - it's a great tool and used a lot here. Why is it slated for removal? I could be convinced if there was going to be a replacement but that isnt clear. Adam M  (Oxford)

  2. I post these suggestions with some caution, since we are still exploring and learning current Sakai features, and I am not an expert in the field of academic metrics, but based on our starting local use of Sakai - I would like to see more analysis tools in next versions of Sakai.

    1) One might include some analysis of faculty and course interactions in the forums - and although defining the metrics would be the most important part of this, perhaps things like (thread depth, average response time, size of responses (to eliminate "me too! and chatter responses), faculty response time, number of 'like's to posts (per student, per faculty), ...).

    This would allow one to oversee a group of courses to see how interactive faculty are in their support of a course, and also how engaged in participation students are in a course(s).

    2) A second area would be institutional reporting and accountability. This would include items perhaps like: (student forum submissions (per student, per course), responses, assignments submitted (%age), date of last interaction, ...). This is important both for QC of course quality per these measures, but also a legal requirement for Federal Financial aid support.

    3) One implementation feature to support this would be more automated ways to extract reporting data from Sakai. The sitestats reports are useful, but very limited in their range and format.

        We have setup one approach to this, where any internal report in sakai can be automatically extracted (csv, xml, json) so that external presentation and analysis tools can be used to better present, integrate, and aggregate it. From that we can then correlate data from various reports and give evaluation and performance tracking tables for each (and all...) courses.

    (I think that the Canvas LMS has some nice examples of such data access and reporting tools.)

    4) A system of hierarchical reporting tools for : ( courses, faculty, departments, school, ...) so that administrators could easily QC and track the overall quality of courses using Sakai, perhaps most importantly for DE courses.

    If other Schools have already discovered or setup good ways to do this, we would love to hear of it.

  3. I would suggest that "anonymous postings" be optional, and if so have an option for moderating them.

    A few other suggestions:

    • allow a view data for assignments, different than the open date. This means students could see assignments before they were really "assigned".
    • allow one to link directly to a resource, not just a resource directory
    • Improve (fix) sitestats graphs.
    • Easy way to link to anything in a site (including assignments) from anywhere, not just lessons tool.
    • Some way to track webinar participation as an assignment
    • Instructors cannot see submit view as student, unless they have asn.submit set on, but then they also get listed in gradebook (which biases lists).

    Also, look through existing JIRAs - several needed fixes & upgrades which I won't repeat here.

  4. I second Adam on the rWiki removal. rWiki may be sparsely maintained, but it's still a useable tool. If it was falling over all the time it would make sense to drop it, but it isn't.

  5. ... and a huge +1 on moving to github, or even hosting a gitlab server. I think that we should set a target date for migration of all contrib projects - not being a fascist or anything, svn just sucks. I'd be prepared to help migrate projects.

  6. Is too late to add items - watermarks (for forensics on sharing screenshots) just occurred to me as a useful feature in Tests & Quizzes.

  7. What about dropping the impl/pack split?