Dial 1-888-447-7153 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-447-7153 end_of_the_skype_highlighting (International callers: 1-719-387-1138)
Enter in passcode: 917798 (the hit #)
Listen to music until "moderator" starts the call
Need help? Call tech support at 1-877-807-0970
- Welcome and Introductions
- Notetaker volunteers? Etherpad: http://titanpad.com/tl-lenses
- Today's topics:
- Continuation of Syllabus discussion. facilitated by Jacques Raynauld and Yitna Firdyiwek (see Syllabus Manifesto
- The focus will be on Table 1 in the manifesto; are any elements missing? do you agree with the purpose associated with each element; what should the underlying data structures look like?
- Debbie Runshe, Indiana University/IUPUI
- Jacques Raynauld, HEC Montréal
- Lynn Ward, Indiana University
- David Goodrum, Indiana
- Yitna Firyiwek, University of Virginia
- Syllabus Manifesto: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/UX/Syllabus+Manifesto
- Parkes and Harris (2002) : http://www.uwo.ca/tsc/pdf/Parkes2000_Syllabus.pdf
- Looking at Table 1 of Manifesto:
- How could these be broken down into data elements?
- What kind of data elements are possible in a syllabus?
- Table 1 is quite comprehensive
- Instructor information (permanent record)
- General course information (permanent record)
- Course objectives (permanent record)
- Office hours (permanent record)
- Assessment and grading (contract)
- Expectations and professionalism (contract)
- Other course policies (contract)
- Course material (learning tool - what students have to buy; textbooks, lab equipment)
- Course procedure (learning tool)
- How to succeed in this course (learning tool)
- Additional resources (learning tool)
- Tentative course calendar (learning tool - related to content; often includes readings, assignments, etc.)Discussion of the categories (These categories are more for us, as designers/developers, and may vary by institution.)
- Permanent record How are we defining permanent record? What about a course that has two instructors? Are permanent records "things that don't change over time"?
- Instructor information should be perhaps be course personnel. How do we allow enough flexibility to show a variety of roles, e.g., adminstrative roles, teaching assistants, etc.?
- The permanent record is what "lives" beyond the time of the course.
- Permanent record(s) may be dependent on requirements of the institution, college/school level, or department/program level.
- Learning tool
- These materials may come up "ad hoc"?
- Contract How will this be created, e.g., by instructor or by other systems? How do we offer this flexibility in the LMS/system?
- Instructor may have policies.
- Other policies may be required by institution, school, or department and "pushed" from other systems.
- Assessment and grading can be complex. Will there be prompts/suggestions? How does this "connect" to the syllabus?
- This data also needs to be able to be "mined" after the course has occured for assessment, etc.*What are the "core elements"? What needs to be editable? What happens when items are edited? Is there a record? Will there be "versioning" available? Is there a workflow established?*
- Next steps? Should this group continue to look at these elements and discuss as we have today? Jacques and Yitna welcome the feedback. It would be helpful to see this in template form in OAE. Consensus seems to be continued conversation within the Design Lenses group. We may need to get project team members involved at some point to share our conversations.
- Plan to reconvene after the Sakai Conference.