Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Proposed Agenda

MEETING OBJECTIVE: Decide what new processes we feel would be valuable to implement within the community related to "instructional visioning".  Once these are identified we should surface them within the larger community and get feedback, particular from the product council and product manager.

  1. Process for Implementing Design Investigations
    1. Proposal: Based on what is learned from the Sakai 3 design efforts currently underway (particular the Samigo and Sakaibrary groups), a community-wide practice would be established which would:
      1. Create a Sakai Community Guide for Implementing Design Investigations#### This would be a broad overview of the investigation phase of the design process that would be posted in Confluence for developers and those new to the approach.
      2. Establish a proposal process by which projects could request assistance from the T&L and UX group in developing and implementing a Design Investigation
        1. This might include things like: Definition of the target audience, user attributes to cover, interview recruitment plan, interview protocol and contextual inquiry guide, etc.
      3. The proposal would be sent to the UX and T&L groups to review and comment on (this might end up becoming part of the product development process).  If accepted, the UX and T&L groups would assist in implementing the design investigation.
        1. This would not require that the T&L/UX groups do all the work but would allow developers, etc. to tap into their knowledge and expertise during the design phase.  It would also provide the T&L and UX groups with direct input into the development process (which I see as being valuable and thus worth some of my time).
    2. Timeline: October - December 2009: engage in current design investigations; January - June: Document process and present it at 2010 conference.
  2. Publish a Sakai Instructional Technology Trend Report
    1. Proposal: This report would research and identify important trends in the instructional technology domain that have implications for Sakai in the 2-3 year window.  This would be a high-level report who's objective would be to get important trends on the radar of the community and those institutions and groups who are engaged in development work.  It may also be used by groups, such as the product council, to push developers to factor trends into new development projects or when tools/functions are re-designed.
    2. Report Format - I'm imagining a relatively brief document posted in Confluence (20-25 pages).  It would be "refreshed" once a year with new trends being added and those that don't look likely to take hold removed.
    3. Work Plan - The first version of this report may take some effort to research and assemble but once it was created the "refreshes" would not take as long.  My guess is that with a large enough group (10-15) contributing that it could be created in 3-4 months.  It might be useful to consider establishing some informal relationships with groups such as ELI and the New Media Consortium (who work on the Horizon's Report) as part of this effort.

DISCUSSION TOPIC: Instructional "Metaphor" for Sakai 3
With the plan to move away from a tool-centric design in Sakai 3, many of us are struggling to understand what the vision or metaphor for what the user experience will be when faculty, students, researchers, etc. enter into the new environment.  There is also the concept allowing for multiple metaphors that could be designed for different purposes.  For example, the metaphor that works for a course may be different then for a project site.

NEED: We need to flesh this issue out more so that we can begin to understand how we might address it.

Meeting Minutes and Notes

  • The two proposals above were the primary discussion topic on this call.
  • There appears to be support and interest in working on Proposal #1, there was a good discussion on this with the following being raised/noted:
    • There is a need to more broadly disseminate the plans being discussed, particular with developers, to get their feedback and buy-in
    • There is some agreement that there would be a role for the Product Council in "pushing" project teams to engage in contextual design inquiries but a lack of clarity as to how this would specifically be done and to what degree it might be required.
      • Eli and Nate, two members of the Product Council were on the call and seemed supportive of the idea (while recognizing that they cannot speak for the PC).  They noted that if development teams were encouraged at an early stage to engage in this type of design work that it would help them move forward into later stages.
      • It was stressed that a "good product definition" needs to be determined early on in the development effort before the bulk of code is written.  This would push for some type of contextual design inquiry to happen during R&D or early Incubation.
    • The proposal currently only focuses on the first stage of a three stage investigation process.  "Digesting" output from end-user interviews and developing things like persona's would require time and expertise.  It was unclear if all development teams would have such expertise and whether the T&L/UX groups would have the resources to provide it.
      • One suggestion that seemed to have a lot of interest behind it was to engage students, possibly graduate students, in this work.  Institutions that have design programs are often looking for real-world projects and this might make for an ideal opportunity.  There were some concerns noted, such as quality control and synchronizing project schedules with course schedules, but these seemed like things that could be addressed.
  • There also appeared to be general support for working on Proposal #2 but there was less clarify on its value to the community
    • Several people noted that having a Sakai Instructional Technology Trend Report would be a great communication piece for those new to the community or those considering Sakai.
    • It might also be used by the Product Council to point development teams towards trends that they may not be aware of but which would be good for them to consider as they are designing tools/functionality.
      • The example of Social Networking came up...this might have been a trend that we identified 3-4 years ago that is now fairly mainstream.  Having formally identified it a few years ago might have helped it become a focus of development work prior to and leading up to Sakai 3.
  • We briefly discussed the final topic of creating a "metaphor" for course sites in Sakai 3.  John Norman was unable to join the group so we will try and re-connect with him to get his input.
    • There was some discussion of using the concept of "page templates" to create a series of metaphors that instructors could choose from...how this would be done was unclear.  We need to learn more about "page templates" and how they will be used in Sakai 3.
      • There was a strong note made the "page templates' will need to be sharable between sites.
  • Josh will create a place to begin to collect "trend" reports from different sources and reach out to the folks at the New Media Consortium who produce the Horizon's Report.  He will also contact Clay and the PC to discuss getting their input on the current proposals.
  • No labels