Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

AGENDA

  1. Welcome and Introductions
     
  2. Notetaker volunteers?  July 7 Etherpad: http://titanpad.com/SZ0CoYWXA9
     
  3. T&L Areas of Interest:
    1. Improving Internal and External T&L Communication - Implement initiatives that will helps others in the community know what we're doing and how to get involved as well as help those in other teaching and learning groups outside of Sakai learn more about our efforts.
      • Brainstorming Page: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Communications Brainstorming
      • Internal Communication and Organization:  How can the work of our subgroups move forward in a way that keeps the entire T&L  and broader Sakai community informed without overwhelming everyone with the details?  Should we create separate mailing lists for each subgroup and then use the T&L list for reporting out and calls for participation?  How frequently should the entire T&L group meet?  Weekly? Monthly? Bimonthly?  How should we address the challenges (long distance costs and logistics) of working in different time zones? Should we try to identify a lead facilitator for each subgroup or let the process evolve organically?
      • External Communication:  Outreach strategies for disseminating work, broadening participation in community initiatives.
      • Action Item for Next Call >
      • Who will follow up? >
         
    2. Sakai Learning Capabilities Design Lenses 
    3. Improvements to OpenEdPractices site
    4. Collaborating on Distance Learning Topics
  4. Next week's call (July 14). Josh will be back to facilitate.

Meeting Notes

Welcome and Introductions (Please add your name below):

  • Lynn Ward
  • Philip Uys
  • Mathieu Plourde
  • Rita Pavolka
  • Debbie Runshe
  • Paul Ross
  • Maggie Ricci
  • Kate Ellis
  • Salwa Khan
  • Kim Thanos
  • Rob Coyle
  • Tony McKenzie
  • Ann Jensen

Notetaker volunteers? 

  • Rita, but others have to fill in the blanks too
    Welcome from Lynn. Thanks for contributing to the "centers of gravity."

Topics:
T&L Areas of Interest:         
Improving Internal and External T&L Communication- Implement initiatives that will helps others in the community know what we're doing and how to get involved as well as help those in other teaching and learning groups outside of Sakai learn more about our efforts. 

  • Brainstorming Page: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Communications+Brainstorming
  • Internal Communication and Organization:  How can the work of our subgroups move forward in a way that keeps the entire T&L  and broader Sakai community informed without overwhelming everyone with the details?  Should we create separate mailing lists for each subgroup and then use the T&L list for reporting out and calls for participation?  How frequently should the entire T&L group meet?  Weekly? Monthly? Bimonthly?  How should we address the challenges (long distance costs and logistics) of working in different time zones? Should we try to identify a lead facilitator for each subgroup or let the process evolve organically?* Twitter hashtag + Social Bookmarks: http://bit.ly/sakaitl
  • how to communicate in sub-groups while staying in touch with larger T&L community
  • Philip: seems like monthly for full group is preferred (5 or 6 timesper yearfull groupi.e. bi-monthly), each sub-group meeting once a week or as they wish but not less than fortnighlty  Continue progress sharing online - confluence?
  • Kim: quarlerly interactive session--check-in session --broader meeting -presentation to allow new people to engage
  • Kim offers to take notes for monthly meeting, polish and publish
  • Lynn: Sub-groups could report out at monthly meeting with whole T&L community, also brain-storming and reality checking* Dense clusters: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathplourde/4772592506/
  • As long as some people are a part or more than one sub-group, they will bridge the information
  • Potentially co-facilitators for subgroups - easier to hand off the baton
  • Lynn: suggests T&L list reserved for reporting out from sub-groups AND announcements, call for participation. Sub-group work preserved so that anyone in the community can access it, but whole group doesn't need to see every email.
  • Rita: Google docs worked well; linked through confluence
  • Lynn: What about asynch communication?
  • One gateway, keep the process simple for newbies http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Getting+Involved+With+the+Sakai+Community+for+Dummies
  • Kim: single point of entry from Confluence page
  • Award committee needs to have more private space, obvious reasons
  • Rob: single point of entry - some centralization is needed; avoid martial law (smile)
  • Kim - do cleanup on confluence, branch-off to Sakai 3
  • Kate - asynchronous communications, seperate listservs for subgroups?
  • Rita - for working sessions - Google docs was working area for Learning Lens
  • Subgroups establishing own meeting schedules
  • Meeting next week with whole group, Josh is back
  • T&L list to report out and reach out.
  • Currently using Marist resources for toll-free number, perhaps for full T&L meetings, weekly mtgs, likely not available for all meetings
  • Suggestion: Skype for group meetings up to 30 participants. it is a free service; sometime call quailty drops, but it comes back. One person initiaties call, and calls out to people. There is a chat function.
  • External Communication:  Outreach strategies for disseminating work, broadening participation in community initiatives.* Outreach strategies, particularly around increasing participation
  • Create effective summary of each area of interest, send targeted message to directors of teaching centers, encouraging participation by at least one from each institution
  • Kim: would like to pull together, Kate indicating John Moore, Sue Roig have kernels of the list/s described from Award Committee
  • Mentoring program
  • Communication lead in each sub-group
  • Action Item for Next Call >
  • Who will follow up? >* Kim to discuss w/ foundation staff to discuss list management
  • Kim to manage the list of T & L centers to target them directly
  • Lynn to send message to T&L list inviting participation and soliciting volunteer facilitators                
    Sakai Learning Capabilities Design Lenses                  
  • Brainstorming Pagehttp://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Design Lenses Brainstorming Page
  • Update on Sakai 3 Design Process (opportunities for T&L community to participate)
  • Discussion: Mapping the Design Lenses to the Sakai 3 Roadmap
  • Signing up for this group means that you're not only interested in the Design Lenses, but Sakai 3 development (help, Mathieu, Kate)
  • Daphne Ogle, Keli Amann, Lynn Ward involved with goal directed process


  • No labels