Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

AGENDA

  1. Welcome and Introductions
     
  2. Notetaker volunteers?  June 30 Etherpad: http://titanpad.com/HSYHn2LyWm
     
  3. Agenda for June 30 Meeting (minutes below)#
     
  4. T&L Areas of Interest:
    1. Bringing Students into the Community
    2. 2011 Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award
      • Conference Outcomes> May want to consider moving towards a more formal process for committee selection.  There were many other suggestions put forward during the conference BOF (link to notes)
      • TWSIA brainstorming page
      • Action Item for Next Call >
      • Who will follow up? >
         
    3. Improvements to OpenEdPractices site
    4. Design Lenses
    5. Collaborating on Distance Learning Topics
      • Conference Outcomes > There were multiple discussions, sessions and a BOF on this subject (BOF Notes).  Interest appears to be around collaborating on training materials and experiences across institutions.
      • Distance Learning Brainstorming Page
      • Action Item for Next Call >
      • Who will follow up?>
         
  5. Next week's call (July 7). Who will facilitate?

Meeting audio: 

20100630SakaiT_Lcall.mp3 (55.3MB) - by Ken Romeo

Minutes of June 30 Meeting

Teaching and Learning Group
call 06-30-2010

Agenda: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/06-30-10+Conference+Call 

Welcome and Introductions
Kate Ellis - Indiana University
Roger Henry - Indiana University
Robin Hill - Wyoming
Rob Coyle - Johns Hopkins
Lynn  Ward - Indiana University
Ken Romeo - Stanford
Debbie Runshe - IUPUI
Philip Uys - CSU
Kim Thanos - Sakai Foundation
Ann Jensen - Texas State
Jacques Raynauld HEC Montréal
Greg Hardham CSU
Steve Faith - UC Davis
Tony McKenzie - CSU

Notetaker volunteers? Robin

I.  Welcome and introductions of newcomers.
II.  Kim Thanos suggests that communications should be an aspect of all topics discussed.
 
Agenda and minutes from June 23 meeting  -- reviewed by Lynn

Kim Thanos:  Communications issues flagged for addressing after 2010 conference.  Foundation staff meeting first week of August, to hear communications status and assessment from KT.   
Share through newsletter, Confluence, Twitter, etc:  kthanos@sakaifoundation.org

[Recall that Commications Brainstorming has a Confluence page of its own, given below.]

 III.
T&L Areas of Interest:         

Bringing Students into the Community                 

  • Conference Outcomes> There is interest in creating a "student" track at the conference to encourage more students involvement.  There was also interest in having students working on the lenses.
  • Notes on Student Engagement
  • http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/CONF2010/Student+Engagement+in+the+Sakai+Community
  • Student Engagement Brainstorming page http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Student+Engagement+Brainstorming
  • Action Item for Next Call
  • open up brainstorm session and engage community with these ideas
  • lay out short- and long-term feasible options - flesh out the structure more
  • learn from [little help here? ] conferences as to pricing structures? 
  • send note to other lists with overview and invitation to the brainstorming, etc.
  • Who will follow up? >  Roger and Rob [update next week]
    Roger Henry:  With Sakai 3, it's time for students to be a recognized constituency, like faculty and instructional designers.  Active groups include portfolio users, code-monkeys/hackers(!), student organizations and committees, research groups.  What is the best way to seek their input?  1) Another core constituency with a conference track.  2) Incorporation via their interests into existing groups and tracks.  And how do we get students to conferences?  Cut or forgo registration fee, lower hotel charge, make awards...  Can something be done for Sakai 2011?
    Robin:  Student participation difficult to obtain.
    - average student does not have a lot of well-formed ideas for the design of course platforms
    Lynn:  Seek advice from Sakai 3 project.
    -- Design lenses folks interested in practical next steps for develping Sakai3
    -- Current and future work will require extensive interraction with students.
    -- We would have to have willing professionals who would serve as mentors (GREAT IDEA).
    -- Student engagement might come first, leading to the natural development of a track
    -- How much can we undertake.
    Roger: Perhaps students who use Sakai for collaboration and project work can tell us what they need for course purposes and other types of collaborative activity not associated with courses.
    kim:  Try terms used by other conferences to attract students.

III.          
2011 Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award                 

  • Conference Outcomes> May want to consider moving towards a more formal process for committee selection.  There were many other suggestions put forward during the conference BOF 
  • TWSIA brainstorming page http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/TWSIA+2011+Brainstorming
  • Action Item for Next Call
  •  Development of list of tasks regarding aspects of the process, and people associated with them.
  • Decide communications mechanism (e-mail subgroups?)
  • Who will follow up? > Kate Ellis

Kate Ellis:  To-do list on brainstorming page.  
Suggestion to formalize process somewhat--creating charter (see examples in other Sakai working groups).  
TWSIA is a good path for newcomers who want to become involved, but they might feel more comfprtable if there was some direction.  Develop new leadership, too.
Lynn:  Leaders should have limited terms with some transfer of "institutional memory."  Solicit new volunteers at conference.  Committee should always have experienced participant, but draw others in, as well.
Kim:  Could help on call for submissions-- will do communication plan for award
Lynn:  Recognition beyond Sakai community:
Kim:  Yes, press release.  Could be prepared better and be better focused.
Kate:  Using Sakai site for asynch work-- Mathieu has set one up, will explain when back on call.  
Lynn:  What about e-mail notification?
Conclusion:  Try it.  Advantages  and drawbacks will become apparent.
Kate:  Hard to carry on public discussion with low complexity.  Need smaller group, or targeted msgs.  Should entire T&L list be addressed?

     
Lynn:  General topic for next week:  How to e-mail for specific T&L task or interest.  Sub-group defined?  Different list?  Subject line?

           
IV.
Improvements to OpenEdPractices site                 

Lynn:  This website needs a defined purpose.  What should it be?  Traditionally TWSIA.
--what's the purpose of this site, and what do we want it to be?
Kate:  Showcase?  But too much text, not enough summary. Maybe it needs to be more usable.
Rob:  Also a concern of Distance Ed group.Randy from rSmart had volunteered to help with the site as well.
Better design for entries, or better procedures?
Lynn:  Many rubrics.  Need easy finding aid
Kate:  Can tag entries.  Guidance needed.
Lynn:  Could courses be organized by practices used?
Kate:  As Ken suggests, not all fields are relevant to stored material.
Lynn:  To Be Continued.

   
V.  Adjourn

        
Next week's call (July 7).  Who will facilitate (if not David)?
        Robin will be gone (traveling).
Lynn, by acclimation!

  • No labels