Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Agenda

1. Check in on the effort to define "Themes" and "Activity Workflows"

  • Last week to discussed doing some preliminary work and then communicating this out to a larger audience.
  • http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=68158536

  • Robin suggests we pick the most fundamental themes right away.
  • Janice: Fundamental to whom? Portfolios are different from tradition training, for instance.
  • Josh: We need a common understanding of themes and workflows.
  • David: We need to make a case that these are important teaching and learning themes.
  • Josh: We could move this to a Google docs if needed.
  • Janice: Assessment has to be included.
  • What we are looking for are meta-capability, things that should be available from anywhere.
  • We might need to split "Assessment" in more specific terms like "self-assessment", "peer assessment", etc.
  • David: Portfolios need to be fleshed-out more.
  • Janice: Portfolios are tool and workflow at the same time. One can use a portfolio tool and not build a portfolio, or can build a portfolio without a portfolio tool.
  • Josh: We need vignettes to demonstrate portfolios.
  • Lynn: Reflection seems to be more granular. Self-expression might be an umbrella term for reflection.
  • Not easy to associate some of these themes with 1 or 2 CG principles.
  • David: We might need to split Content Management in multiple smaller ones.
  • Robin: Let's define these ones first, we'll see which ones need to be refined later.
  • Josh: Please define tracking.
  • Tracking is a way to keep traces of the completion of activities.
  • Lynn: It's another form of feedback to improve student success. It is a kind of report.
  • Mathieu: Tracking involves reminders and notifications.
  • Josh suggests to take off-meeting time to complete the work, discuss issues during the virtual meeting.
  • Robin: What are the goals of the virtual meeting? Any deliverable?
    [Good question, but not mine; maybe Lynn.  RH]
  • Josh published some of these goals.

    From last week:
  1. Planning for Virtual Meeting
    1. Objectives:
      1. Categorization of Learning Capabilities
      2. Identification and closing of "gaps" in current capabilities
      3. Development of a "self sustaining" or "living" document that can continue to grow on its own
    2. Action Items/issues
      1. Technology needs
      2. Defining categories and "activity workflows"
      3. Forming of working teams (may want to include some "experienced" folks on each time
      4. Ramping up of those new to the process
      5. Planning agendas and work plans for each day
      6. Dealing with time zone differences
      7. Models/strategy for engaging with Clay (product manager) and Sam (designer)
    3. Logistics
      1. Finalize dates/times
      2. Finalize participants (maybe recruiting more people...particularly outside the US)

  • Josh suggests to focus on the logistics during the next calls.
  • David thinks we might be able to do more than just logistics.

2. Virtual Working Session Logistics

  • Times to meet each day - We need to find times each day that will work given a range of time zones.  We may also want to factor in some time for people to work on local issues???
  • Larger group vs. small group work - I've imagined some times when the entire group may want to come together to discuss big issues or check in on definitions, etc. to make sure we're all in agreement but that most of the "real work" may need to be done in smaller groups.  We've discussed organizing teams that would include some more experienced folks with those new to the effort.  We may also want to great teams around themes, etc.???
  • Technology - a web conferencing too might be useful for some of this work.  We need to determine who could provide the technology and how that might work.

  • Josh: We have 22 people who have registered, 8 of which are on this call.
  • We could build team of 4-5 people with more experienced people scattered around.
  • David suggests using some face to face groups too. Lynn is worried about single-institution perspective.
  • Lynn: We could use Adobe Connect if everyone has a microphone/webcam.
  • Josh: We also need breakout sessions. We could name team leaders.
  • Mathieu: Elluminate has breakout rooms.
  • Lynn: We could have pseudo-breakout rooms (links to other instances).
  • Josh: we need to try those techs.
  • Robin: Let's put our available systems on the sign-up sheet.
  • IU and Marist have systems.
  • We would need a backup plan.
  • Lynn could check to reserve the bridge.
  • Josh: Only Charles Sturt is way out there. We could meet 12-7 EST, allow people to join in later.
  • Let's try to block 6 hours on both days.