The question regarding storage and the amount of space required to maintain and retain portfolios is one with which we are all concerned. I hope we can use this space to engage in a discussion of how each of our institutions is grappling with this issue. The following is a list of topics and items we might add to this page:
- How much estimated space is each institution currently using for Sakai development?
- How much estimated space is each institution currently using for OSP development specifically?
- What types of data are OSP users collecting (e.g., forms, attachments, audio/image/video files, text, raw numbers, other types I'm not considering, etc.)?
- How long do OSP users estimate they may need to retain this data?
- What sorts of measures are folks taking to create and ensure long-term storage?
At Virginia Tech, as with many institutions, we are currently in the process of generating these types of questions and beginning to work through possible solutions. A conversation about these issues with many institutions could be very valuable for all involved. Please feel free to voice your own questions, concerns, ideas, and suggestions here.