The Evaluations tool allows users with appropriate permission to evaluate work on a wizard page or in a matrix cell after it has been submitted for evaluation by a participant in the site. If you are an evaluator, you use this tool to access the appropriate part of a participant's wizard or matrix, review the work shown there, and provide an evaluation of it.
In addition to using the Evaluations tool, evaluators with permission may also use the drop-down menu at the top of each wizard or matrix to access the wizard or matrix of each participant and click on a wizard page or matrix cell belonging to a participant in order to evaluate the participant's work.
As an evaluator, you enter your ratings and comments on an evaluation form. This form is created by the CIG Coordinator (site organizer or other user in that role). By carefully designing evaluation forms for wizard pages and matrix cells, the CIG Coordinator can incorporate your institution's existing evaluation practices and assessment rubrics, such as evaluation scales and prompts for subjective evaluation, into the process of evaluating wizards and matrices.
To ensure effective reporting and avoid confusion, it is strongly recommended that your institution standardize evaluation scales across the pages and cells of all wizards and matrices.
After you have evaluated a page or cell, your ratings and comments are available to the participant whose work you have evaluated. Your evaluation is also available to other site members who have permission to evaluate or review the page or cell.
The home page of the Evaluations tool contains a list of participant work that is ready to be evaluated. For each wizard page or matrix cell title, the list contains its owner (if you have permission to see the name of the owner), the date the work was submitted, and whether the work is contained in a matrix cell or wizard page.
If the list is longer than one page, use the buttons near the top of the screen to find the item you want.
- To display the first page of the list, click First.
- To display the previous page of the list, click Previous.
- To display the next page of the list, click Next.
- To display the last page of the list, click Last.
Evaluating Submitted Work
To evaluate submitted work, access the Evaluations tool and follow these steps:
- Open the Evaluations tool.
- If the Evaluations home page is not displayed, click the Reset button.
- Examine the list of submitted matrix cells and/or wizard pages and click the title of the submission you want to evaluate. Sakai displays the appropriate matrix cell or wizard page for the title you have selected.
- Review the instructions and all forms and other attachments that have been submitted. [Note: To return to the Evaluations home page at any time, click the Reset button.]
- In the evaluation section of the cell or page, click the Add Evaluation link.
- Complete the fields in the evaluation form. Consider modifying the default title of your evaluation to make it easier for you and the participant to identify at a later time.
- To submit your evaluation, click Save Changes. Sakai attaches your evaluation to the participant's wizard page or matrix cell and re-displays the Evaluations home page. Or, to return to that page without submitting the evaluation, click Cancel.
- If you clicked Save Changes, Sakai displays the Status and Progression page offering three choices:
Set Status to "Complete"
No other member of the site can evaluate the page or cell and you will not be able to edit or delete your evaluation. The data in the cell or page will be locked to prevent any further changes.
No Changes to Status
The participant who submitted the work will not be able to alter the page or cell, but you and other evaluators can add additional evaluations and edit or remove existing evaluations.
Reset Status to "Ready"
The site participant will be able to alter the contents of the page or cell and resubmit it for evaluation when he or she is ready to do so. If you access the page or cell via the drop-down menu in the Wizards or Matrices tool, you can edit or remove existing evaluations.
Permissions are more complex for evaluators than for most other site members. In order for you to act as an evaluator of work in a specific matrix cell or wizard page, the following conditions must be met:
- You must be assigned the role of evaluator on this site.
- On the specific matrix cell or wizard page, your role or your user name must be specified as an evaluator.
- Your role must have the "evaluate" permission in both the Matrices or Wizards tool and the Evaluations tool
To change the default permissions for the Evaluations tool, access the tool and follow these steps:
1. If the Evaluations menu bar is not displayed, click the Reset button.
2. Click the Permissions button on the menu bar. Sakai displays the Permissions screen.
3. Referring to the table below, check boxes to select the appropriate permissions for users in each role.
Users in this role may see the name of the user whose work is being evaluated in a matrix cell or wizard page.
Users in this role may review site participants' finished work in matrices and wizards and offer summative feedback on it.
4. To save the permissions settings, click Save. Sakai saves the settings and displays the Evaluations home page. Or, to return to that screen without saving your changes, click Cancel.
Editing / Removing Evaluations
To edit or remove submitted evaluations, access the Matrices or Wizards tool and follow these steps:
- For an evaluation form to be edited or removed, the wizard page or matrix cell with which it is associated must have the status of "pending" evaluation or
"ready" for evaluation. If the status of the cell is "completed," the evaluation cannot be edited or removed.
- Click within the matrix cell or wizard page where your evaluation form is located.
- In the Evaluation section, click the Edit or Remove link.
- If you click on the Remove link, your evaluation will be removed immediately.
- If you click on the Edit link, to add your changes, click Save Changes.
- If you clicked Save Changes, Sakai displays the Status and Progression page. Follow the procedure in the "Evaluating Submitted Work" section above.
Aggregating Evaluations across Sites via My Workspace
To aggregate evaluations across sites, access the My Workspace site and follow these steps:
- If your My Workspace does not have an Evaluations tool listed, click on the Worksite Setup tool.
- Check the box for My Workspace and click Edit on the toolbar above.
- Click the Page Order link located on the Site Info menu bar.
- Click the Add page(s) to your site link located on the Site Info menu bar.
- Check the box for the Evaluations tool.
- Use the Page Order tool to move the Evaluations tool into your preferred location.
- Verify that the Evaluations tool has been added and is in your preferred page order.
- Click Save.
- Once the Evaluations tool has been added to your My Workspace, click the Evaluations tool to manage evaluations across all sites.
- Follow the steps in the "Evaluating Submitted Work" section above.
[Note: Your institution may or may not enable the Evaluations tool in My Workspace for maintain-level users. If the Evaluations tool has not been enabled in My Workspace, if Worksite Setup is not a tool in My Workspace, or if the Evaluations tool does not appear in Edit Tools in My Workspace Worksite Setup, ask your system administrator to modify the template for your My Workspace site.]