OpenMeetings Web conference is a tool that allows Sakai users to hold web conference events using an OpenMeetings server.
This tool has been developed by Samoo in a collaborative effort from 5 Spanish Universities: Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Universidad de Lleida, Universidad de Murcia, Universidad Católica San Antonio de Murcia and Universidad Pública de Navarra.
You can test a demo here.
- Check server status - indicates the connection status between the server and client.
- Room listings – list of available meetings.
- Creating a room – allows you to create a room and specify the room properties such as room name, room type, maximum number of users.
- Scheduling – set the dates & times for when a meeting will begin & finish, or for how often a meeting will occur over a fixed period of time.
- Accessing rooms – the ability to set the permissions for users entering a room. The user will either be a moderator or a guest. The moderator will have more privileges over the guest.
- Notifications – To notify other Sakai users about video conference events you can; add a calendar event, announce the video conference session, send e-mail notifications.
- Editing a room – change the properties of a room.
- Deleting rooms – remove a room.
- JDK 1.5+ installed
- Maven (to compile and deploy)
- Tomcat with Sakai deployed and running
- A database server: Oracle or MySql
- Openmeetings 1.6.1
- Edit pom.xml file and change the version tag to reflect the Sakai version. Also make sure that the full profile or the open meetings profile is activated by default.
- For Sakai 2.6 or lower, edit …/tool/pom.xml and change JSF dependencies.
- Run Maven to compile the tool:
- For Sakai <= 2.4, use Maven 1:
- maven sakai
- For Sakai >= 2.5 or trunk, use Maven 2:
- mvn clean install sakai:deploy
Edit your sakai.properties and add the following lines:
The video conference tool needs a database to store all the information. Nowadays, only Oracle and MySql servers are supported by the tool.
You don’t need to create a new database or tables. The tool will use a Sakai database and will automatically create the tables that it needs.
If you are using a MySQL database and the SAKAI_USER, SAKAI_SITE or SAKAI_SITE_GROUP tables are not established with InnoDB engine, the script will fail. In that case, after deploying the tool (and a new open meetings-tool folder was created) rename the file …/TOMCAT_SERVER/webapps/openmeetings-tool/WEB-INF/classes/mysql/sakai_videoconference_openmeetings_no_references.sql to …/TOMCAT_SERVER/webapps/openmeetings-tool/WEB-INF/classes/mysql/sakai_videoconference_openmeetings.sql
Add the Video conference tool to a site
Use the “Worksite setup” or the “Site info” tool to add the video conference tool to a Sakai site:
- Click “Add tools” link
- Select “Sakai Openmeetings tool”
- Click “Continue” to save changes
- Questions?: If you have any questions please direct them to Samoo
1. Required settings:
To configure this tool properly you must add the following lines to your sakai.properties:
2. Optional settings:
Setup tool permissions
To configure the “Sakai Open meetings” tool after it is deployed. The following permissions can be used:
allows a user to create a new room
allows a user to access a room created by this tool
allows a user to delete a room created by this tool
allows a user to edit a room created by this tool
allows a user to moderate a room created by this tool
allows a user to see all rooms created by this tool, even if the user is not in the list of allowed users, or not pertains to any of the allowed groups
- Francisco Saez
- Sante Filice