(Update 2017-09-20) The Endorsed project is part of Sakai since 12.0 version (See - SAK-23521Getting issue details... STATUS ). If you are using a version newer than 12.0 then these steps are not required anymore.
This space describes the 'endorsed' project which is to resolve the issues for Basque and Mongolian.
Basque and Mongolian languages are not fully supported in Java. e.g., DateFormat and NumberFormat are not, as described in Cultures and Requirements. The 'endorsed' project is in order to support them by implementing the locale sensitive service provider which is offered in the Java Extension Mechanism.
It can be used simply putting sakai-endorsed-i18n-1.0.jar into the proper location, and restarting Tomcat if it was already running.
For Tomcat 6 or 7, the target location is $CATALINA_HOME/endorsed/ . If you'd like to install from the source codes, the following Maven builds command will store it there.
For Tomcat 5.x, the target location is $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed/ . If you'd like to install from the source codes, please manually build and copy it there.
Additionally, $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/ can be the target instead of the above locations.
1. In order to enable the extension of the service provider, please use
in your code, because the latters do not support the extension. For example, the day of week in Section Info tool will not be displayed in Basque or Mongolian even if the extension was properly stored. It is because 'new DateFormatSymbols(locale);' is used in the tool in Sakai 2.9.1.
2. The first day of week can not be extended by the service provider currently. It wiil be offered in Java 8 as java.util.spi.CalendarDataProvider.
Adding more locales
If you'd like to add another unsupported locale except for Basque and Mongolian, please follow the steps below.
- Check out the source codes from https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/endorsed/trunk/ .
- Add the locale string into 'locales=' within src/resources/SakaiLocaleServiceProvider.config .
- Create the resource bundle file as src/resources/SakaiLocaleServiceProvider_XX.properties .
- Localize the content of the resource bundle.
- Build and store it into the proper location.