This tool and page contents have been deprecated in Sakai 11 in favor of the Public Address System (included by default in Sakai 11).
No further support will be provided for this tool.
PA System documentation http://sakai.screenstepslive.com/s/sakai_help/m/34527/c/164806
Global Alert Tool
The Global Alert function allows administrators to display messages/notifications to Sakai users while they are in any site. The user will receive these messages and updates independently of their current interaction with the system. Once the message is read, the user has the option of dismissing a message from view unless the message was created as a high priority (Priority 1) message.
- Requires Sakai 2.9 release
- Can run in 2.8, 2.7 but changes will be needed in courier, reference and portal (SAK-19918, SAK-10051)
For Sakai 2.9 and 2.10: Apply SAK-23556
Update sakai.properties: portal.use.global.alert.message=true
Global Alert: Priority Level 1 (not dismissable)
Global Alert: Priority Level 2
Global Alert: Priority Level 3
Global Alert Messages are created, updated and removed as text resources within a special administrative site called Global Alerts Admin. Additional (optional) configuration for GAM 1.1 is described in the Documentation for GAM-1.1.
To create a message:
- Log in as a Sakai administrator.
- Navigate to the Global Alerts Admin site. By default, you will land in that site's Resources tool.
- Enter or expand the "notifications" folder. Within this folder, the system will generate one or more folders that correspond to the server(s) of the Sakai instance. In a clustered server environment, a folder will be generated for each server that will allow for a message to be displayed only on that specific server. Additionally, an "all-servers" folder will be created that allows for a message to be displayed across the entire cluster).
- If the message is to be displayed only on a specific server, create the message in the named folder that matches that server. If the message is to display on all servers in a clustered environment, create it in the "all servers" folder.
- Select "Create Text Document" from the Add menu located to the right of the preferred folder. In the Create Text Document screen, enter the message content into the provided text field. Only plain text is accepted. Any special characters must be Escaped with a backslash "\" (i.e., "Let\'s remain \"cool\" and\\or collected"). Simple html tags (including p-tags, hr-tags, a-tags, h1, h2, etc) may be used, but if you update a message as described below, they will be rendered as text (due to a bug).
- When the message is complete, click the Continue button at the bottom of the page.
- In the Name field, enter a title for the message. The message title will uniquely identify each existing message but will not be displayed to any user. The title is also used to assign a priority of 1, 2, or 3 to the message. To specify a priority, append an underscore followed by a number to the message title. For example, ending the message title in "_1" will set the priority to 1. If no priority is specified, the message will be treated as priority 3.
- Priority 1 - message displays at top of the window, non-dismissible, red background
- Priority 2 - message displays at top of the window, dismissible, gray background
- Priority 3 - message displays at bottom of the window, dismissible, green background
- Click the Finish button at the bottom of the page to save the message and display it to users.
- The saved message will appear for users when their browser screen is refreshed.
To update a message:
- To change the the text of a current or archived message follow steps 1-8 above. Edit only the body of message; the message title is a unique identifier of that message. If the user has dismissed the message the updated version will reappear when the browser refreshes. The word "Update: " will be prepended to the message.
- If the message includes any HTML markup, create a new version of the message and remove the old one rather than editing the existing text file.
To remove an active message:
There are two methods to remove an active message:
- Delete the message
- Render it inactive by moving it out of the "notifications" folder and into a non-active folder; it is recommended that you create an Archive folder to store inactive messages. The removed message will disappear from the view of the user when their browser is refreshed.
To reuse an archived message:
Edit the message (if necessary) in the designated archive folder and move it to the desired server folder.
- Dismissed messages are session based. If the user logs out and logs in again they will reappear.
- When a message gets created/updated/deleted the change will become visible when the user's browser window refreshes.
- It is necessary that titles of active messages be unique to avoid system confusion between the two messages.
- Changing the title of a text resource will not create a new message, just trigger an update to the existing one
- If a message has been moved out of the "notifications" folder, wait a few minutes before moving it back into that folder to avoid display anomalies (THIS NEEDS SOME TESTING TO SEE WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS).
- The Availability and Access section under the Edit Details interface has been disabled for the Global messages. These settings cannot be used to control or specify the display of a message (i.e., set it to automatically display at a future date/time).