Technical Notes and Maintenance Release Information
New for Sakai 12
- Improved look and feel. New skin. More attractive and functional.
- Improved responsive design, better performance on mobile devices.
- Gradebook performance enhancements, plus a number of minor interface improvements such as progressive rendering of student grades for large classes, and a new feature which allows instructors to view and adjust final grade distribution.
- Refactoring of Assignments tool. Makes Assignments more maintainable and easier to enhance.
- A new "Commons" tool for social connections
- New Site Info display widget.
- New modern interface for the chat tool.
- Lessons has a new optional subpage left menu navigation feature. In addition, a number of useful enhancements such as a forums widget, announcements widget, calendar widget, resources widget, and personalization of text,
- Test and Quizzes (Samigo) - Extended delivery of assessments for select individuals and groups.
- Test and Quizzes (Samigo) - use of tags/labels for taxonomic organization of question pools and easy discovery of relevant questions per discipline.
- Test and Quizzes (Samigo) - Hot spot (using images) question types are now responsive (aka works well on mobile devices).
- Better support for Mathjax.
- Support for IMS Content Item, including a "shopping cart" ubiquitously available in the rich text editor.
- Hibernate 4 Upgrade (from 3.6.5 to 4.3.11) . Alleviating technical debt.
- New Course Management CSV loader.
- Pluggable plagiarism detection integration containing support for 4 external providers: Turnitin, Vericite, Compilatio and Urkind .
- More easily leverage the use of a content accessibility checker plug-in to our rich text editor. GPL licensed. Requires work by system adminstrator.
- ElasticSearch (open source search library) refactored to support multiple indices. Opens up new possibilities for search features (like the use of tags/labels for Test and Quizzes mentioned above).
- Accessibility improvements.
Complete List of Features, Tasks, and Contributions