On Wednesday, 8 July at 11am ET, the "Hackathon: Go" session will launch Sakai Boston hackathon activities. We plan to organize the hackathon in unconference format, which means that whoever shows up decides what will happen. That means you!
What you can you do right now? Add your suggestions for hackathon session projects you'd like to contribute to and lightening talks you'd like to give below. We will work together to schedule time to work on these projects and hear these talks during Sakai Boston.
We will go over these lists and generate more ideas in the "Hackathon: Go" session to start planning the rest of the week's activities. More projects and lightening talks may well be added along the way. If you want to help shape the hackathon, please contribute to this wiki page and attend the "Hackathon: Go" session.
The hackathon will take place throughout the Boston conference, concluding with the "Hackathon: Stop" session 2:30pm ET Friday, 10 July, where we will review hackathon activities, evaluate the hackathon process, and plan any next hackathon steps.
Anthony Whyte, David Horwitz Noah Botimer and I proposed this hackathon to encourage and make visible the hands-on work that goes on at Sakai gatherings. We hope the hackathon will be a chance for community members of all types?not just developers?to focus on small, tangible pieces of work while they are face-to-face that will have direct effects on the functionality, usability, accessibility, internationalization, design, development, and/or quality assurance of Sakai and its tools.
Hackathon Project Proposals
Propose specific, tangible, bite-sized projects here that you think would be good candidates for hands-on work during the Sakai Boston conference.
- Add project proposals here...
- Add the ability to exclude selected roles from the Become User function so that help desk staff can assist most users without having access to full admin or elevated privileges. Hull have some code for this working for 2.6 rc06
- The creation of a new "Notifications" or "Activity Feed" tool which will allow users to easily keep abreast of what requires their attention on a daily basis (i.e. think the News Feed in Facebook). Prototype: https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/lance/notifications/index.html
- Is there anything to this beyond the mockup? In other words, does view source get it all, or is there Sakai 2.6/Sakai 3 backend functionality too? James Marca
- Looking at getting this into Profile2 if anyone wants to talk to me about an impl, or do it Steve Swinsburg
- I've been thinking about doing this (well, what we talked about in the K2 workshop) REST-fully properly. The 5 cent version is that there should be more specificity on the actual resource being addressed. If anybody is interested I'd be happy to dump my thinking in a child page here. James Marca
- Fix the paste from word issue in FCK editor.
- Fix the rWiki rich text editor (strip unsupported features).
- Add features to rWiki: http://anythinginstructional.blogspot.com/2009/06/wikis-revisited.html
- Allow joining sites from site info and !error site
- K1 bug hunting - fixing bugs in K1 identified by automatic cod review David Horwitz Anthony Whyte
- Reference (link) to individual Forum post, for use in further Forum discussion and in Tests and Quizzes Robin Hill (Hackathon Room, Thurs, 11:00)
- Course Overview / Syllabus / Resource Viewer Noah Botimer - Need Wireframe/Design/Instructional People! - Thurs, 204, 4:00 PM
- allow for Email notifications & digests sent from Forums (More top issues identified by end-user support folks) Jon Hays
- Using a Sakai Tool to make live links to external programs such as Mathematica, MatLab. These programs have linking api. IMS LTI 2.0? Lucio Rodriguez
- How to use Sakai to do research collaboration using a whiteboard and voip? Agora? Adobe Connect? Wimba? Elluminate? Lucio Rodriguez
- Can someone help me understand what I'm looking at with jConsole and more paths to explore if there might be a thread leak in Sakai._ Matt Mize
Hackathon Lightning Talks
List your 5-10 minute lightning talk on any Sakai topic here, along with the time/date during which you'd like to give it.
- Add your lightning talk here..
- Maven 2 advanced topics - using the release plugin, binary releases David Horwitz Thurs 2pm