What is Sakai
Sakai is open-source Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE) software. The Sakai Community develops and distributes the open-source Sakai CLE, an enterprise-ready collaboration and courseware management platform that provides users with a suite of learning, portfolio, library and project tools. For more information, please visit our main website. If you're new to the Sakai Community, take a look at Getting Started with Sakai.
This site is the Sakai community wiki (using a Confluence wiki server), supporting community collaboration around building, deploying, and using Sakai. (Signup for an account? Forgot your password?.) Wiki content falls into four broad categories:
- General Information - overview of Sakai (learn about conferences and meetings; general announcements of broad interest; Sakai Partners Program; Sakai Commercial Affiliates program; demos and hosted trials). For all members of the Sakai community.
- Building Sakai (sakai-dev) - designing, developing, testing, and documenting Sakai (learn about the technical details of building tools or integrating services; find guidelines for design and development of tools and services; locate technical specifications; learn about plans for future releases). For designers, programmers, developers, and quality assurance.
- Deploying Sakai (production) - implementing, installing, configuring, and supporting Sakai (find release documentation; learn about performance tuning; browse suggested hardware and software configurations; share examples of training, tutorial and support materials). For sysadmins, DBAs, and technical support staff.
- Using Sakai (sakai-user) - teaching and learning, collaboration, and other uses of Sakai (learn about best practices; share experiences; connect with user communities with similar interests, K-12, Higher-Ed, Portfolios). For teachers, staff, students, researchers, instructional designers, instructional technologists and end-user support staff.
- Using Jira - our bug reporting system.
- Supporters - Projects and organizations who support Sakai and the development of our project.
All Activities - a complete listing of all Confluence spaces, for Sakai community members who know where they want to go.
The community also uses a number of email lists associated with the four broad areas listed above. As a starting point, it is highly recommend that anyone with an interest in Sakai join the Announcements list: firstname.lastname@example.org (send an email to email@example.com. Note that this is an announcements list for all Apereo projects, of which Sakai is one.) This a very low-volume, read-only list, with only a message or two per week. Typical content includes general information about Sakai that is of broad community interest, such as the Apereo Newsletter, release announcements, conference information, Sakai-related job postings, calls for volunteers, etc.
Contributing to the Sakai Community
This forum has been created for communication about the Sakai online collaboration and learning environment and other projects of the Apereo Foundation, a non-profit organization. By participating in this forum, (1) you agree that unless otherwise clearly indicated, all of your communications are intended as contributions to the Foundation on behalf of yourself or your institution under the terms of a Contributor License Agreement or a Corporate Contributor License Agreement between your institution and the Apereo Foundation, as applicable. If no such agreement is on file, you agree your contribution may be used under the terms of the Educational Community License Version 2.0 or future versions of the Educational Community License promulgated by the Apereo Foundation; and (2) you represent that to the best of your knowledge, either you have all rights required to make such contribution, or you are proposing the use of third party open source software and have identified the software and the relevant license.
Think you've found a security vulnerability? Don't discuss it on list or file a normal bug report. See our security policy for information on how to report the issue.